Freeze proof tv's?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yooperdave

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2010
Michigan's U.P.
Does anyone know if there is any danger to the new style tv's (lcd, led, etc) being in a sub-freezing temps for extended periods?? I don't have one at the cottage, but am thinking about it. The problem is, I don't heat the cottage during the winter; only when I show up for the day or afternoon. The temps get well below freezing and I would hate to damage the new tv.
I went there today for the afternoon and walked into a temp of 20f inside. It took about two hours for the nc-13 to warm up to 70, but then it was time to leave.
I have a tube type tv with a built in dvd now, and I can only imagine that such drastic temp swings can't be all that good for it.

My travel trailer comes equipped with a 27" jensen LCD TV and people store their trailers in all sorts of cold.

How cold do you think trailers and containers get that are shipping these TV's to us get? I personally don't think cold overally affects them. Condensation might, but as long as you give the device time to acclimatize to a warmer environment I think you will be fine.

The published specs for the model should cover temperature range. I doubt that the temps you mentioned would be a problem. I would think that a 2-hour warm up period would be fine. What I would avoid, though, is bringing it directly into a warm house because of condensation issues like Morgan said.

Status
Not open for further replies.