Fresh air intake kit recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dac122

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2007
Upstate NY
I'm finishing the install of my Jamestown J1000 and I need to hook up the fresh air intake.

My stove is in a corner of my sun room. Other than power in the room, there are no limitations on the inside or outside wall that will make drilling a hold difficult. With the stove so close to the wall I only need a few feet of flex pipe.

While I've not measured the outer diameter of the intake pipe, the install manual calls for 1 5/8" diameter flex pipe.

Can anyone recommend a way to make my own fresh air kit, or recommend an affordable and reliable site that has a kit?

Also, as mentioned there is power for the room and a 220V electric resistive heater running near by so I don't want to nick or hit any wires. Any suggestions on how or where to safely drill my fresh air hole.

Thanks

I bought my vent/OAK kit from my dealer. He took back the parts I didn't use and gave me a credit... pretty good deal.

The romex running to you heater should be fastened to a stud and would be running at lest 18 to 24" above the floor in a normal installation.

Fine aaatwo studs and drill in between them... if you find the power wire just move it up or down so it's out of the way and then drill the outside hole.... it easier if you drill both holes from one side...

I can appreciate the comment about drilling both holes from one side. I had a "professional installation" from my dealer. He was drilling the whole for the exhaust. First drilling a pilot hole from the inside with a long thin drill bit. Then drilled out the area for the pipe. He went outside to do the same. The holes were over foot apart from where they should have been. Seems the little back dot, he thought was his pilot hole, walked off. Lucky for me I had some left over siding. I asked him about the out side air. He just looked at me, shook his head and said 'not needed". This from a fuel outfit that has been in bossiness for 100 years. Didn't leave a manual for the stove.

Thanks for all the replies.

CZARCAR said:
i put a valve on my 1cheeked OAK so that outside air doesnt have in/out path thru stove when it aint running.

I like that idea. Can you provide some info on that "check valve" such as a pick or where you bought it from?

I always use PVC for mine (don't bother gluing it). Most hardware and some auto parts stores sell expandable flexible tubing which should work okay. It's fine to go a little larger on the diameter, but don't go any smaller than 2" or whatever your stove inlet is.

Status
Not open for further replies.