Fresh air intake snorkel?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sneefy

Burning Hunk
Feb 20, 2022
Western WI
I've been looking around for a snorkel of sorts for the home exterior. I haven't found an off-the-shelf product.

I'm in the snow belt and the floor of the new home is pretty close to ground level. I'd like to raise the fresh air vent on the exterior to stay above blowing snow. So, a snorkel or sorts. I'd like to keep it all on the outside to avoid adding more cold piping to the wall cavity. It's on a side of the house that's not that visible, so aesthetics are not that important.

I'm sure I could fab something out of galvanized piping, but thought there may be a more elegant product already out there. Anybody know of one? Thanks.

I've been looking around for a snorkel of sorts for the home exterior. I haven't found an off-the-shelf product.

I'm in the snow belt and the floor of the new home is pretty close to ground level. I'd like to raise the fresh air vent on the exterior to stay above blowing snow. So, a snorkel or sorts. I'd like to keep it all on the outside to avoid adding more cold piping to the wall cavity. It's on a side of the house that's not that visible, so aesthetics are not that important.

I'm sure I could fab something out of galvanized piping, but thought there may be a more elegant product already out there. Anybody know of one? Thanks.
You can't really go up much . The intake can't be higher than where it hooks to the stove

One of the window well covers with a pipe up through it to above the snow line?

It would decouple the oak from the pipe up (unless the snow is going to be airtightness, but even then I suspect the gases will cool down enough to not draft up due to being in a hollow in the snow...)

Any recommendations for keeping snow off the intake other than manually clearing it?
How much snow are talking about?

One of the window well covers with a pipe up through it to above the snow line?

It would decouple the oak from the pipe up (unless the snow is going to be airtightness, but even then I suspect the gases will cool down enough to not draft up due to being in a hollow in the snow...)
Interesting thought. Create a chamber with separate remote intake for that chamber. Just need to locate the intake for the intake above snow line.

Reactions: stoveliker
I would think an intake pipe would leak enough heat to keep the snow melted, but I could be wrong. Can you use a normal exterior duct with flap? Something like this, but appropriately sized. I think most of these have a flap on the outside since they are typically exhausts, but maybe there is a similar product for an intake.

1662040299198.png

I'm not sure when sucking cold air into the intake, that at -10 F any snow would melt.

^That.

The kit comes with something like what's pictured above. Problem is it's going to be low enough to the ground that it would be pretty easy for a good snowfall to bury it.

I would certainly hope that the pipe would not leak enough heat.

Incidentally, @stoveliker every time I see your username I read it as 'stovelicker'. Ouch, lol.

Incidentally, @stoveliker every time I see your username I read it as 'stovelicker'. Ouch, lol.

Lol. I never tried that.
I'm not creative enough for a funny username, so that's what my boring brain came up with.

Lol. I never tried that.
I'm not creative enough for a funny username, so that's what my boring brain came up with.
Well, it's logical. If you're here, you probably like stoves.

My brain, whether I like it or not, is going to continue calling you stovelicker. Any offense is unintentional and I apologize in advance.

Well, it's logical. If you're here, you probably like stoves.

My brain, whether I like it or not, is going to continue calling you stovelicker. Any offense is unintentional and I apologize in advance.
No offense taken.
Sneefy makes me think about sneezing... 🤷‍♂️ And I won't even go to what I think when I read some other names. :cool:

Would a small chased enclosure work? I'm thinking of a 6"x6" x 24 or 36" tall box with a small shed roof on it and a screened vent at the top under the roof. This could also be done with a cowl made from a 3' section of capped 8" round pipe cut in half lengthwise, with a screened port at the top, and attached with angle brackets.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Would a small chased enclosure work? I'm thinking of a 6"x6" x 24 or 36" tall box with a small shed roof on it and a screened vent at the top under the roof. This could also be done with a cowl made from a 3' section of capped 8" round pipe cut in half lengthwise, with a screened port at the top, and attached with angle brackets.

I'm sure that would, but it would probably have the same draft effect as the snorkel if sealed (except at the top), wouldn't it? It would definitely satisfy my desire to get above the snow line, though.

Maybe the extra volume in the chase would reduce the drafting effect, though.

I'm sure that would, but it would probably have the same draft effect as the snorkel if sealed (except at the top), wouldn't it? It would definitely satisfy my desire to get above the snow line, though.

Maybe the extra volume in the chase would reduce the drafting effect, though.
That's possible. I was thinking of a fairly leaky, not caulked design that acted solely as a snow block with the original screened vent in place. Additional side screened vents could be added at 6" intervals.

Additional side screened vents could be added at 6" intervals.

Right. I thought of this very thing to add additional flow points.

I could even fab something like this up and rig it to be temporary only during heating season. Clip on well-caulked eye bolts or something to keep it from blowing away in the wind.

Hmm. This may be a solid idea.

How about planting a cedar bush? Probably not a solution this winter.

How about planting a cedar bush? Probably not a solution this winter.
That's a thought. It would have Southern exposure and it's at a gable end, so no drip line.

I'm generally against having plantings up against the siding though. Plus, if a spark does come out the wrong way, cedar is full of flammable resin.

Reactions: EbS-P
I'd also say that with a nice Nor'Easter, snow drifts could easily occur right where trees are. At least that happens for me on my South facing wall.

I think you really have to go up. Whether a $50 window well cover with a cut to size hole, a (e.g. downspout) pipe with two 90's at the top or a nice looking chase-thing (both can be removed out of season) depends on what your (or your HOA's, as I see elsewhere on this forum today...) aesthetic preferences are.

Reactions: sneefy
Didn't think about an HOA dictating rules. So glad I have never lived in an HOA community.

Reactions: kborndale
Yeah, no HOA here, thankfully. When shopping for homes, an HOA is an automatic disqualifier for me.

To construct this, aesthetics are definitely secondary as it's on the side of the home that nobody will see.