Fresh Air Intake to Pull Basement Cold Air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

IrishMountain

Oct 30, 2021
South Eastern Pennsylvania
Hey Guys,

I’ve been lurking this forum for awhile now gathering information for my upcoming pellet stove install. I finally made an account since I haven’t seen my specific question asked. Firstly, thanks for all the great information I’ve already gathered from here. Now onto my situation.

I’m going to be replacing a broken direct vent propane stove with a direct vent pellet stove on my main floor. I’m currently heating the main floor and a recently finished basement with a forced air oil furnace. Ever since the basement was finished the furnace struggles to heat the house (which was expected after adding extra square footage). Right now my plan is to close all the upstairs vents during the winter and run my smart thermostat off of room sensors in the basement instead of the main thermostat detecting the upstairs temperature. Hopefully this will help the oil furnace heat the basement. My question is, can I run the fresh air intake from the pellet stove to the basement to help pull the colder air out of the basement. It would be installed on the drafty side of the basement. This side has 2 large Anderson sliding patio doors so it’s alway colder. Do you think this cold air intake idea would benefit my heating situation in the basement or is it not worth the hassle?

More than likely make it worse the air the stove uses has
to be replaced most likely with cold air coming in from outside
Install an OAK to use outside air for combustion not air you
have paid to heat.
Just my nickels worth
OH Welcome to the Forum

More than likely make it worse the air the stove uses has
to be replaced most likely with cold air coming in from outside
Install an OAK to use outside air for combustion not air you
have paid to heat.
Just my nickels worth
OH Welcome to the Forum
Thanks. That makes sense. I guess another pellet stove in the basement would probably be the best way to handle it. Heating the home with all oil is starting to worry me with the way things are going.

I'd be worried too. Heating oil today is really diesel fuel and I full expect diesel (on road) to hit 5+ a gallon and off road (red dyed) to be $4.50 soon. I just topped of my bulk tank about a month ago and it was $3.25 delivered, off road. I don't heat with it, I farm with it.