Fresh air intake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dayman

Nov 2, 2021
Dunnville, Kentucky
Now I have a question about the fresh air intake side. Manual say any large runs (6 to 8 ft) could starve the stove of air. Problem is mines maybe 16 ft to the outside. If I increase from 2 inch to a bigger supply pipe would that work?

Reactions: VintageGal
You could try a 4 inch, I’m sure others will chime in, I installed a Harman P61A with a 10’ 3” and it’s working fine

I'd be curious about your exhaust side...I haven't done one at my mom's but if we did we'd be in similar situation but the chimney is a 2 story chimney, so a little bit of heat would really pull some air beyond what the convection fan could push/pull. So short question, does your exhaust side have enough vertical to help assist with the air flow?

I'd be curious about your exhaust side...I haven't done one at my mom's but if we did we'd be in similar situation but the chimney is a 2 story chimney, so a little bit of heat would really pull some air beyond what the convection fan could push/pull. So short question, does your exhaust side have enough vertical to help assist with the air flow?
According to the Harman manual it should be fine. Just calculate all your piping. As long as it under those allowances. There’s also a max length on the horizontal run.

Equivalent Vent Length: The equivalent vent length for common pellet vent components are:
• 90° Elbows or Tee: 5 EVL Units
• 45° elbow: 3 EVL Units
• Vertical Pipe or Liner: 1⁄2 EVL Unit
• Horizontal Pipe or liner: 1 EVL Unit
The total allowable equivalent vent length is: • 20 EVL for 3” pellet vent pipe or liner.
• 30 EVL for 4” pellet vent pipe or liner.

Now if you move to a comfortbuilt stove they actually tell you the feet. See attached. I’ve been reading a lot to make sure the install will work.

I think I’m going to increase the size of the fresh air just to be safe. It should be fine

E6D6BB49-53C3-4197-B707-FC57F0633941.png

I ran into a similar issue with my Harmon PB-105. My stove is in the basement 10Ft below grade, and the back of my house gets pretty deep snow, so i wanted my fresh air intake to come up about 3Ft ( like a snorkel) I used 4" galvanized ductwork to make a snorkel for the outside portion and ran as much as I could inside. i reduced that down to 3" and flexible dryer ducting for the rest of it. Stoves been burning great for 2 months, no issues.

I also ran the chimney straight up thru the soffit, so I have sufficient draft to help pull fresh air into the stove.