fresh air venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CJTfish

Feb 22, 2022
Massachusetts South East
can i run a 3 inch galvanized duct down my ash dump ,out the block work and to the outside to improve air flow to my wood stove insert. I would also cement around the pipe in the hearth. it would not be hooked directly to the stove but would be dumping air into the area about 2 feet from the intake. just trying to improve the draw a bit ?

Reactions: VintageGal
Stove is in basement?
Wood is 2 years old and covered?
When is draw bad at startup only?
What type of chimney system insulated and length?

Before doing that try cracking open a window to see if more free running air will solve the problem.

I've heard these newer better insulated homes reduce the draw of wood stoves.

Yes you could (safely). But before you do, see the above.

If you do, make sure you can close the pipe for when you don't need it. Saved on energy costs in summer.

Stove is in basement?
Wood is 2 years old and covered?
When is draw bad at startup only?
What type of chimney system insulated and length?
I haven’t put the stove in yet. Just trying to get ahead of it to insure adequate air supply. Stove will b on the 1st floor. Full basement below - wood is at least 1yr seasoned and covered. Insert will b in a masonry fireplace with 13” clay flew - it will b 16 ft. from top of stove to top of flew. We have had to crack a window from time to time when starting a fire in the masonry box. 6” single wall stainless steel flew
Before doing that try cracking open a window to see if more free running air will solve the problem.

I've heard these newer better insulated homes reduce the draw of wood stoves.

The pipe is below the stove so I would suspect that you wouldnt have as much positive pressure going into the fireplace firebox, but to insure that you can add a shut off gate on the outside access, a block off plate that it sealed above the insert so there's no draw from the chimney (even the slightest bit from the plate that goes on the cap) New homes in some states that have a fireplace require a fresh air intake for the fireplace as part of their building code.

The pipe is below the stove so I would suspect that you wouldnt have as much positive pressure going into the fireplace firebox, but to insure that you can add a shut off gate on the outside access, a block off plate that it sealed above the insert so there's no draw from the chimney (even the slightest bit from the plate that goes on the cap) New homes in some states that have a fireplace require a fresh air intake for the fireplace as part of their building code.
I was intending to cap it above the insert and also under the top cap with galvanized sheet metal and the appropriate insulation (ceramic?) and caulk the edges to hopefully eliminate any air infiltration. Also concerned about any code issues. Thanks for all the responses

You won’t know if you need until you burn it then it’s a real pain to install the duct. I’d probably go for but not make the final exterior penetration until I knew I needed it. If that’s possible. Mock up a blockoff plate now. Cut the sheet metal to fit, and dry fit it. But don’t cut the hole yet. Much easier to do now before the install. Plan on mineral wool insulation above blockoff plate I went I far as to stud as much as I could up in the smoke shelf too because I had extra and up around where the liner inter the tile flue.

Recommendation is no insulation up to but seal with silicone well. It just gets wet from condensation and never dries out.

Just wondering why you could not hook it up to the. insert?