Friend with Old Farmhouse, No Existing Heat System and a New Classic 6048

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trehugr

Dec 16, 2007
Greenwood, Maine
As the title explains, if I can help him get this OWB running for him his year it could mean a good 10 cords of wood in trade. My main questions are, is the Classic 6048 an open system ? Will he need to purchase a heat exchanger ? Can he use hot water cast iron radiators ? If it is an open system, then the Pex does not need to be barrier, correct ? Just trying to get a feel for what we need to start thinking about.

Good friend has a 6048. All he did is run thermopex from classic, T-into house system,filled system w/water, bleed, and fire up. Not sure about cast iron rad's, were they hooked into an existing system, and was it hot water or steam type?

If the old farmhouse has any size to it, I'll place a small wager that 10 cord won't be enough for the whole heating season.My buddy has a good sized house and went thru a sh!tload of wood.6048 loves wood, especially green. Sell him at least 20 cord and what he won't use will have a head start on seasoning for next season. As yo know the price of hardwood is down and a good time to stock ahead. Our "obama" economy might happen and if it does these mills will drive the price up.

It is an open system. He should use barrier Pex regardless to reduce O2 absorption, both for this system and any future upgraded system (only do it once). The 6048 can be hooked in series to the CI radiators or baseboards or whatever, but bleeding the air will be difficult at best with a non-pressurized system. Using an HX will allow presurization of the house side.

I agree with flyingcow - I hope you get your 10 cord of wood before he starts burning in his 6048. He will go through twice that in a season, especially if it is an uninsulated old farmhouse.

trehugr said:
As the title explains, if I can help him get this OWB running for him his year it could mean a good 10 cords of wood in trade. My main questions are, is the Classic 6048 an open system ? Will he need to purchase a heat exchanger ? Can he use hot water cast iron radiators ? If it is an open system, then the Pex does not need to be barrier, correct ? Just trying to get a feel for what we need to start thinking about.

When I put in my CB 6048 I did not use O2 barrier pex. This was a huge mistake as I have now switched and will have to replace all of the lines. You never know what will happen in the future and I would strongly suggest doing it with the idea that at some point, the system will be changed to a more efficient one and this will probably require O2 barrier at that point. A few more dollars now is a whole lot better than hundreds when it is switched.

I think one of the reasons pressurized systems are used in houses is that it is more forgiving from a engineering stand point. You would be best off using a plate hx to separate the OWB from the house delivery and making the house pressurized. Definitely put in O2 barrier PEX becuase in a few seasons when he sees how little wood your EKO burns he'll want a gasifier of his own. Also, be careful of wood offered by OWB guys, they always cut it too long, never split it, and seem to think green wood can burn. (alright, now I'm just teasing) ;-)

WoodNotOil said:
I think one of the reasons pressurized systems are used in houses is that it is more forgiving from a engineering stand point. You would be best off using a plate hx to separate the OWB from the house delivery and making the house pressurized. Definitely put in O2 barrier PEX becuase in a few seasons when he sees how little wood your EKO burns he'll want a gasifier of his own. Also, be careful of wood offered by OWB guys, they always cut it too long, never split it, and seem to think green wood can burn. (alright, now I'm just teasing) ;-)

Don't forget the statement "I can fill it full and forget it for at least 12 to 24 hours, and it hardly uses any wood, only 8 or 10 pieces" :)

Yeah I know, play nice :coolsmile: my bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.