Marshy Posted By Marshy, Dec 9, 2018 at 11:34 AM

1. Marshy

Marshy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 29, 2016
    Loc:
    NY
    Guys, I just did a complete cleaning of my FHG before peak season arrives. My boiler had 430 heating hours on it.

I swept the chimney even though it didnt look like it needed it (only got a cup of ash, no creosote at all).

I took out the tubulators and brushed the tubes.

I brushed and cleaned around the combustion chamber and removed the ash under the tubulators.

I pulled some side pannels in the firebox and checked the primary air intake it clean.

I cleaned the firebox floor, pulled the cast iron grates and cleaned the ash from the secondary air inlet.

The question I have is, what's the easiest way to clean the area under the cast iron?
    There is a small bolt head above the secondary air inlet and it was painful to clean with a small flat piece of wood. What advice do you Froling owners have for cleaning this area? Old paint brush maybe?
    20181208_215642.jpg

Yes, I covered the firebox floor with ash before I fired the boiler. I used all the ash from under the tubulators and spread it on the firebox floor. I typically maintain a 1" solid base of ash on the firebox floor, never scrape it clean. For a while I was scooping out the combustor daily but re-read the maintenance instructions and began leaving a layer of ash in the combustor also.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. TCaldwell

TCaldwell
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2007
    Loc:
    860-868-9014 h 203 948 0864 c nw corner ct.
    judging from the color sure looks like hot and clean burns!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Marshy likes this.
  3. Beagle Dad

Beagle Dad
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 17, 2014
    Loc:
    Ottawa Ontario
    I clean the area below the below the cast iron twice a year using a shop vac. The only dirt is the ash that falls down from cleaning the bulk to the ashes out of the boiler.

Chris Hoskin likes this.
  4. huffdawg

huffdawg
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 3, 2009
    Loc:
    British Columbia Canada
    I clean my fire tubes every 2 weeks ,it seems to make quite a difference on the flue temps . I also vacuum out the ashes from the ash access and in beside the refractory sides.

5. goosegunner

goosegunner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 15, 2009
    Loc:
    WI
    The manual I got with my Froling said not to use a vacuum on the refractory. Apparently it can cause wear.

6. Marshy

Marshy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 29, 2016
    Loc:
    NY
    I have been brushing my fire tubes every 4 weeks as well as cleaning below them and brushing the narrow area around the lower refractory that leads back to the fire tubes. I scoop out the cylinder refractory every week but leave a heavy layer of ash in it so the flame isnt impinging directly on it. The floor of the firebox is also completely covered with 1-2" of ash. I use my poker to keep the space below the plates on the inside of the firebox clear of ash.