From insert to free standing - the choices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swimman

Hearth Supporter
Sep 19, 2008
Rhode Island
Well, the Yankee Bay insert I ordered will definitely not fit my fireplace after further talks with the dealer. The only option is to put a free standing unit in front of the fireplace. They offer Harman (numerous models), Enviro (Empress) and Lopi (Leyden). I've read about these models but never really took notice. I will search the forums once again but does anyone have recommendations? I have a 3800 sq ft home but the unit will be on the first floor (about 1500 sq ft) and I only intend to heat downstairs.

Also, I have seen pics of those of you who have a free standing unit in front of a fireplace, but it would be helpful to post some pics in this thread to see what everyone has done. As well, do any of you store the stove elsewhere in the summer time?

Thanks.

There is an owners photo section around here somewhere...... check it out.................

What size is your fireplace opening? I looked at the specs on the Lopi and it looks like you need a 24 x 36 inch opening...

Have you checked other makes and models of inserts? My fireplace is a small one and I have a Quadrafire Catille insert in it , heats up to 1500 sq feet of space.

The Lopi unit fits in the fireplace. There just is not enough clearance to route the 4" pipe between the top of the pellet stove and the roof of the firebox - only about 2-1/4". I have talked with the dealer about moving the Lopi out a little to make more room in the back (would only need to move it out about 1-1/2") but they said the exhaust pipe would not flex enough to make the attachment to the stove.

After reading the specs on the Castille, I know it will fit the opening but the question is whether or not the exhaust pipe can be connected as I have 22-1/2" from floor to ceiling in the firebox. I'll check with the local dealer.

I have an Enviro VF-100 and a Quadrafire Castille, both free standing. I prefer the Enviro's burning system and the fact that I only need to clean it after 2 or three days. The Quadrafire burn pot has to be cleaned every day or the igniter hole gets covered in ash. That's with either Corinth or Energex pellets.
I prefer the Quadrafire for it's ease of cleaning. You only have to pull a handle to get rid of the burn pot contents. Also, the ashes can be pushed through a couple of slide doors to the pan below. The Enviro needs to have the burn pot taken out and scraped clean of the the carbon build-up.
The parts for the Enviro have to come from Canada if the supplier doesn't have them in stock.(more expensive and time consumming delivery) The Quadrafire parts are less expensive and are readily available.
In short, every stove has it's good and bad points and each person has thier likes and dislikes. I like the Enviro because I use it in a large area and it's done the job without a hitch for three years. The only problem was with the dealer I bought it from, Wayne's Stove & Canoe. I wouldn't buy a can of Sterno from that place after the experiece I had. I had venting problems wit the Quadrafire but that was specific to my placement of the stove. It works great now.

Status
Not open for further replies.