From Insert to Free Standing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RI_FL_Line

Oct 12, 2022
Rhode Island
I’m looking into replacing a Jotul Kennebec insert I’ve had for the last 15 years with a free standing, possibly another Jotul. We often lose power and I would prefer a stove not needing a fan and also one you can heat food on. I guess I’m an old timer since prior to the Kennebec we had a Vermont Castings Resolute for many years which I loved but I’ve read that they’re not as good as they used to be. There is a Regency stove shop a few miles from my house but they only sell top venting wood stoves and since this is going to sit on a fireplace heath, I believe I need rear venting. As a result this shop was trying to convince me to get another insert. I was just wondering what extra work needs to be done in converting from an insert to a few standing. If I remember correctly for my Resolute, I believe there was a metal sheet installed where they removed the fireplace damper and the stove pipe of the Resolute went through this sheet metal. When the Kennebec was installed I had stainless steel liner installed as my house was built in 1981. Any info that I should know about re switching from an insert to a free standing would be appreciated.

I’m looking into replacing a Jotul Kennebec insert I’ve had for the last 15 years with a free standing, possibly another Jotul. We often lose power and I would prefer a stove not needing a fan and also one you can heat food on. I guess I’m an old timer since prior to the Kennebec we had a Vermont Castings Resolute for many years which I loved but I’ve read that they’re not as good as they used to be. There is a Regency stove shop a few miles from my house but they only sell top venting wood stoves and since this is going to sit on a fireplace heath, I believe I need rear venting. As a result this shop was trying to convince me to get another insert. I was just wondering what extra work needs to be done in converting from an insert to a few standing. If I remember correctly for my Resolute, I believe there was a metal sheet installed where they removed the fireplace damper and the stove pipe of the Resolute went through this sheet metal. When the Kennebec was installed I had stainless steel liner installed as my house was built in 1981. Any info that I should know about re switching from an insert to a free standing would be appreciated.
You will most likely need to extend the liner a little bit and add a tee. You will also need an appropriate hearth Infront of the fireplace for the stove

What is your lintel height?

What is your lintel height?
In Florida right now. Stove is in RI so I can’t measure the mantel height. I know that years ago for the Vermont Castings the installer bent and put in a long pice of sheet metal to deflect heat from the mantel. Sounds awful but it wasn't that noticeable.