From the mind of a scrounger. with I.D.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
I planned on going and cutting some softer wood tomorrow that was "free" . This free wood was going to cost me $20 in fuel in the BIL truck and $20 for a babysitter= $40 minimum.

I choose to pay the sitter so I can cut and haul when the wife is a work (on my days off during the week) and the other 2 kids are in school, so when the weekend comes and everyone is home I'm not out cutting wood. That way I can spend time with the family. That is worth $20 to me.

So as I'm running errands with the baby I hear the sound of chainsaws close to my house. :cheese: I persue this sound and find the tree guys doing their thing. I ask what will happen to the wood, "gotta truck"? I reply "no" and ask how much to deliver about 4 blocks away. I estimate over half a cord worth. He says $30 I say deal!!

So now I don't have to go cut tomorrow which was Hemlock and I've have ?????? delivered for $30 ;-P I saved $10 and all my time being gone to cut and haul. I would have gotten more Hemlock (around 1-1.5 cord) but this will be be for 2013 so I'm starting to be more picky.

This stuff was standing dead per the homeowner for the past year, no leaves anywhere. The tree guy says it's sugar maple, the other tree guy says ash. Either way much better than Hemlock. It's definitely hard stuff.

I recently built my son a bed using ash and this stuff smells the same to me. There is a green algae looking stuff on the higher branches.

Watcha think it is?
Charlie

Attachments

• ash.jpg
    ash.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 452
  • ash1.jpg
    ash1.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 442
  • cartersbed.jpg
    cartersbed.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 415
Hard to tell how much there is, tough to get the scale of it! What's the diameter of those logs?

There is only four or five big ones 20" cut to 20". everything will need split at least once. Most of the stuff is 6-12" diameter. The end grain is very smooth where the chain ran straight through, which leads me to believe it's pretty hard and dense, and he had a sharp chain. The big ones are very, very heavy.

Couldn't have worked out any better even if you'd try to plan it that way!

Could be ash or norway maple. Need to see a split.

Kinda of a bad pic but here goes. I split pretty easy by hand with a nice "POP".

Attachments

• split.jpg
    split.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 354
Some kind of maple. Think I can see a curly section in the lower right portion of the split at 5.5 oclock.

ckarotka said:
I planned on going and cutting some softer wood tomorrow that was "free" . This free wood was going to cost me $20 in fuel in the BIL truck and $20 for a babysitter= $40 minimum.

I choose to pay the sitter so I can cut and haul when the wife is a work (on my days off during the week) and the other 2 kids are in school, so when the weekend comes and everyone is home I'm not out cutting wood. That way I can spend time with the family. That is worth $20 to me.

So as I'm running errands with the baby I hear the sound of chainsaws close to my house. :cheese: I persue this sound and find the tree guys doing their thing. I ask what will happen to the wood, "gotta truck"? I reply "no" and ask how much to deliver about 4 blocks away. I estimate over half a cord worth. He says $30 I say deal!!

So now I don't have to go cut tomorrow which was Hemlock and I've have ?????? delivered for $30 ;-P I saved $10 and all my time being gone to cut and haul. I would have gotten more Hemlock (around 1-1.5 cord) but this will be be for 2013 so I'm starting to be more picky.

This stuff was standing dead per the homeowner for the past year, no leaves anywhere. The tree guy says it's sugar maple, the other tree guy says ash. Either way much better than Hemlock. It's definitely hard stuff.

I recently built my son a bed using ash and this stuff smells the same to me. There is a green algae looking stuff on the higher branches.

Watcha think it is?
Charlie

walnut

Can't help with the ID, but that's a really nice bed frame/headboard/footboard. Nice work.

Maple is my vote...

After really looking at the grain and color of the split I believe it to be maple also. I'm happy it's something good, been getting all soft lately.

ckarotka said:
After really looking at the grain and color of the split I believe it to be maple also. I'm happy it's something good, been getting all soft lately.
Man, I hate when that happens! Never happens to me of course!

Skier76 said:
Can't help with the ID, but that's a really nice bed frame/headboard/footboard. Nice work.

Thanks,

I built all the furniture in his room. Tv stand, 2 bin holders for his toys and a desk with baseball bats for legs with 1 center drawer.
Moved all clothes to the closet and put them in wire baskets that have slides to act like drawers. He's a typical boy, could care less what he wears.

ckarotka said:
Skier76 said:

Thanks,

I built all the furniture in his room. Tv stand, 2 bin holders for his toys and a desk with baseball bats for legs with 1 center drawer.
Moved all clothes to the closet and put them in wire baskets that have slides to act like drawers. He's a typical boy, could care less what he wears.

The furniture is beautiful! He's a lucky kid to have a dad who will do all that for him!

gzecc said:
ckarotka said:
Man, I hate when that happens! Never happens to me of course!

So Doc............I have this "Friend" who............... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.