Fuego Flame yer gone! Theres a new Summit in town! Demo & prep photos.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
Well pulled the old Feugo Flame out yesterday. What a chore that was. Appears it was set in what might be an old (60's) heatilator premade steel. Steel was about 3/16" thick double box with inner & outer shells. I am going to do photos in a sequence. My apologies if its too much.

Begining demo:

Attachments

• pre removal1.JPG
    pre removal1.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 2,168
  • Begining demolition.JPG
    Begining demolition.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 2,138
  • old feugo flame.JPG
    old feugo flame.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 2,065
The original existing took a pounding at some point. Back & side walls have some serious buckles:

Attachments

• original firplace.JPG
    original firplace.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,448
  • rt wall.JPG
    rt wall.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 1,434
  • lt wall.JPG
    lt wall.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,386
Was a direct connect, looks like they did it right anyways. Had 2 layers of sheetmetal with what appears to be rockwool sandwiched inbetween for a block off plate.? I don't honestly know what rock wool looks like. Am going to need some for the new install though. Any ideas where to get it?

Attachments

• block off plate.JPG
    block off plate.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,640
  • block off plate out.JPG
    block off plate out.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,654
  • rock wool.JPG
    rock wool.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,533
Original damper was good size, but door already out when old insert was installed, now I had to cut through with a sawzaw & angle grinder, man that was definitely the worst & dirtiest part. But I dug in my heals and went to town. Now the new liner will almost make a straight run. just a very little snaking and it should go fairly well.
To mock up the liner, I bought a section of 6" aluminum flex & an adjustable elbow at HD for around $12.00. It worked out great for figuring what I needed cut out and what angles the flex would take when it is run through. I just have this one resting on the lip of the damper cut. I couldn't hold and take pic at same time. I had to hold a flashlight in one hand for most of these interior fireplace photos, cause the camera wouldn't focus without the light. Camera in one hand, flashlight in other. It was loads of fun.(Sarcasm).

Attachments

• old damper2.JPG
    old damper2.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 2,144
  • cut out for new liner.JPG
    cut out for new liner.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 2,330
  • mock liner fitting.JPG
    mock liner fitting.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 2,108
I will be cleaning my own damn chimney for now on, I paid to have this cleaned out and they did a shoddy job. I was just starting out and didn't know any better.
BTW I cleaned the inside of the old fireplace with a 6" spackling blade. I was literally top half of me in this fireplace LOL. And I am 6'2". Our youngest boy asked if I was going up the chimney LOL. He is obsessed with Santa, and said Santa would be coming down this Chimney. The kid looks at every house we drive by and says...."theres another chimney, Santas going to go down it". Hes 7, cute kid. Always noticing chimneys LOL.

And wallah, the old insert out, the Summit sitting literally a couple feet to the right. Cmon liner!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• PIC00055.JPG
    PIC00055.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,334
  • all cleaned out2.JPG
    all cleaned out2.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,317
Your almost there...If I remember you already have the insert, liner is on the way?

Wish I took before pics of mine, only got the afters.

You will be happy with the final product, I sure am :coolsmile:

Gunner said:
Your almost there...If I remember you already have the insert, liner is on the way?

Wish I took before pics of mine, only got the afters.

You will be happy with the final product, I sure am :coolsmile:

Yes have Insert, picked it up last weekend. Going up to get final measurement for liner now. Then back here to order online. Ventpipe.com seems to be the only online dealer I can find for dura rigid double wall liner, the rest only have flex. And my local dealers ALL suck here. There are 3 simpson dura vent. dura liner dealers, and only the guy I got the insert from will order the rigid I need. And I been waiting a week for pricing from him. So to hell with it, I'll order online, prolly come quicker anyways. I am going double wall down to first tile, then flex to stove. Off to measure. Be back in a bit.

Coming along nicely. Good to see you getting everything cleaned up. Can't wait to see it burning.

Any pictures of the top of the chimney and the SS liners connections outside? I'll be looking to do the same thing next year so i'm soaking in the info here.

mIstabone said:
Any pictures of the top of the chimney and the SS liners connections outside? I'll be looking to do the same thing next year so i'm soaking in the info here.

No liner in yet. What you see in the photo is a mock up with some cheap 6" alum. flex pipe from Home Cheapo. I mocked it up with that to make sure I had clearance etc.
Worked nicely for 9 bucks. Now ordering the real deal. I will be taking photos of everything & posting them on here.

Ah, next time you go to Home Depot. They this this paint department. I think they have paint that works on brickwork.

<ducking under desk>

BrotherBart said:
Ah, next time you go to Home Depot. They this this paint department. I think they have paint that works on brickwork.

<ducking under desk>

Why youuuuuu!!!!!!!!!
Thats it, I'm coming over your place and painting yours behind that Englander the same damn color, with sparkles & all!!!!!!!!!!

When I finish the umpteeth projects around here, then I will cover said painted brick in cultured stone.
Till then I keep the lights off, or wear sunglasses inside so I can't see it ;)
Remember, came with the house, not by choice! wise arse:)

Status
Not open for further replies.