fuel transfer pump?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FanMan

Feeling the Heat
Mar 4, 2012
CT stix & upstate NY
Hoping somebody has some good ideas... I need some kind of pump to transfer kerosene.

Last year, I converted my house from oil heat (kerosene actually, since the tank is outdoors and above ground) to propane and I couldn't be happier with that choice. However, since I also had a separate oil furnace in my garage and most of a full tank of kerosene, my garage is still heated with an oil furnace, and I need a way to transfer the kero from the old 275 gallon house tank to the 55 gallon garage tank. The first time, I did it with a cheap drill powered pump from Harbor Freight (at the expense of some funky smells coming out of my overheated drill), but this time, it didn't have enough suction to draw it up and prime the pump (and believe me, I tried lots of things but only succeeded in making a mess). I'm not going to hard plumb the garage furnace to the house tank, since I'm going to put a gas furnace in the garage once the kero is gone.

Anyway, I'm looking for some kind of a pump, suitable for kero/oil/diesel, relatively cheap (cheaper than the value of the fuel in the old tank that I could give away in exchange for removing the tank), that can self prime to 5' or so, and push it (I don't care how slowly, as long as I can switch it on and leave it alone) into hose to the garage tank some 30' away. Local availability would be a plus because I really want to work in my heated garage over the next few days.

Airtex electric fuel pump - about $13

You could move it with air.

I had a buddy from Florida who moved up to CT for a few years. The POS place he was renting had an oil boiler that was mounted higher than the tank suction. He ran low on oil multiple times and would only get a partial fill up. We used a shop vac to "pressurize" the tank in order to get the oil to flow uphill so we could purge the filter (which was mounted at the pump) and prime the burner pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.