Full Liner - Direct Connection - Question..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CK-1

Feeling the Heat
Feb 10, 2006
Currently I have a direct connect kit (5ft) connected to my PE Summit which I installed a few years ago. Most of the kit is oval, which fits thru the damper and converts to round when attached to the top of the insert. I'm thinking about doing a full chimney liner this time around and was wondering if I could use the direct connect oval kit along with the liner to get pass the damper opening?. Thinking I could also re-use the blockoff plate doing this as well. I will probably need a round to oval connector to connect the pieces. The house was built in 2004, and haven't had any problems with the insert and/or chimney. The full liner I'm looking to get is the 316Ti Forever Flex Liner Kit (6X40).

CK

CK-1 said:
Currently I have a direct connect kit (5ft) connected to my PE Summit which I installed a few years ago. Most of the kit is oval, which fits thru the damper and converts to round when attached to the top of the insert. I'm thinking about doing a full chimney liner this time around and was wondering if I could use the direct connect oval kit along with the liner to get pass the damper opening?. Thinking I could also re-use the blockoff plate doing this as well. I will probably need a round to oval connector to connect the pieces. The house was built in 2004, and haven't had any problems with the insert and/or chimney. The full liner I'm looking to get is the 316Ti Forever Flex Liner Kit (6X40).

I think you would probably be better off with a liner that is ovalized for the last few feet to get through the damper. Or, you could probably remove the damper frame so the round liner fits all the way. With the right connector, though, I don't see why you couldn't do what you are thinking... I'm not sure it would really be saving you much money-wise, and could become a PITA down the road with the connection a few feet up in the flue past the damper. If that joint pulls apart while cleaning.... it'll be tough getting it back together.

We sell a lot of flex where the top 20 feet is round and the last 5 feet is ovalized just for this purpose... An ovalized fitting can then be added to bring it back to round, you just have to have a manufacturer that will work with you.

It'll work. What you have there is used all of the time to go through the damper frame and connect solid liner pipe to inserts.

Depending on the flex - you might be able to pull it out, connect it to your new round stuff by flattening the top of the oval (and using adapter), and then drop the whole mess down the chimney from the top - you have to oval the bottom and then squeeze it back to round once you pull it though the damper - that is, unless you are ready to grind out some of the damper frame

This one needs an Elk-opinion, but IIRC, code says you aren't supposed to have connections where they aren't visible - i.e. in the flue above the blockoff plate. However I'm not sure what the parameters are on that limit, so hopefully we can get an official verdict as to whether it's OK, and if so, what sort of connectors are required. (I know that I would prefer to go with a single peice of pipe, but I'm not sure if it's required to do it that way...)

Gooserider

It is permissiable to use a pipe joint liner connector ( manufactures approved one) within the chimney cavity

there are a couple of approaches line the chimney with oval liner, cut out the damper frame and use round pipe, or use oval to round connector and finish off the rest of the chimney run

Craig is right one may be able to squish round to a bit of oval to get therw the damper it may work but an ounce too much pressuer can ruin the pipe plus it is a violation of code to distort the pipe configuration If we are talking about less than on inch ovalization thats not a huge issue. Beyond that I would never pass it

Nice to read interesting feedback.. I tell ya.. I'm not even trying to bang out some of the damper frame. I've read some of the up and downs of the work involved, warranty issue (if any)... tool(s) to rent.. blades.. etc...etc.. If the oval fits thru the damper, I'll take it.. :)

I just want to ask a couple of questions..

1. Comparing a Round Line to a Oval Liner, wouldn't a Round Liner be better due to more air flow?..
2. What sites sell Oval Liner Kits?
3. I have a oval to round adapter connected to the oval direct connect kit. Wouldn't the same adapter (6in round) work to convert it back to round?.

Here is some pics of the direct connect...

Attachments

• DSC00641.JPE
    DSC00641.JPE
    11.6 KB · Views: 710
  • DSC00642.JPE
    DSC00642.JPE
    11 KB · Views: 713
  • DSC00647.JPE
    DSC00647.JPE
    10.9 KB · Views: 709
CK-1 said:
3. I have a oval to round adapter connected to the oval direct connect kit. Wouldn't the same adapter (6in round) work to convert it back to round?.

The long technical answer follows:

Yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.