fumes with new stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aurora04444

Got my new used Mansfield today ( I know it's spring, but it's still chilly up here in Maine!) and finally got the new stove pipe installed. Stove started no problem, although it seemed to like the front door left open to really get it going. I have a 30+ foot tall chimney on an old 3 story Federal house. Within about an hour, the Mansfield was cranking. But I did notice foul vapors and was wondering how long these should last? Since the stove is used, I could start it normally without an initial small fire. So, all I can think is that it is the new stove pipe stinking?

Back when we used single wall pipe and replaced it every other year the new pipe would foul the air for about 4 hrs. With our new stove using double wall pipe...I can't really remember if there was an odor...tell you the truth.

I agree a used stove should not foul the air...in the past 'dust' has been revealed as the culprit behind a metallic burn smell. Hard to believe but true...

Hopefully you used black pipe! That stuff can give a foul odor that sometimes goes away quickly but occasionally you get some that seems to take much longer. We had that in our last black pipe. After about 10 times of lighting the stove in the fall, we were ready to return the pipe and had clearance to do so, but over that weekend it finally stopped. Crack a window for a bit and hopefully after a couple fires it will disappear.

Maine is not the only cold spot right now. Hope Spring returns soon.

It will last for your first 4 fires or so....give or take. I've been burning my stove since last Nov and even now if I bring it up to temp to fast, I'll still get a slight odor...if I bring it up at a resonable rate though I smell nothing.

Enjoy the new stove. It definately warrants burning here in Maine still...I did last night and will again tonight with all this cold rain.

Thanks everyone! The odor from the new black stove pipe bought at Lowes finally stopped!
The only problem during heating season back in April, was that my chimney still is smoking. I have read many reports of no smoke coming from new hearthstone stoves. My stove is a July 1996 Mansfield with the stainless steel tubes in its interior ceiling. Interior and exterior, it looks just like the new ones except the front removable ash tray that sticks out in front has different pattern on it.
Any ideas? :)
Aurora

Watch it, when I rebuilt and painted an insert a few years back I changed the color. I sprayed in the garage with the door cracked in late fall. I was getting dizzy and seeing starts. I opened the garage door and kinda fell out of it. After about 45 seconds I started feeling better. When it aired out I read the can...something about shutting down the central nervous system or damage??? Needless to say I don't paint in close quarters anymore!!!

i remember once panicking at the site of smoke coming from around new stove pipe thinking i was leaking smoke directly into the room.
turned out it was just the white price sticker on the pipe burning off!!

The current hearthstone manuals actually direct you to perform a break in series of fires at the beginning of each season. As though the soapstone absorbs water from the air through the summer or in periods of no use. When I first broke in my stove there was a smell and I expect that it will smell again when put back into duty this fall.

Some of the stink might have been old stove smell, the dust, and also the water boiling out of the stone. Might happen again in the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.