Funding available for volunteer firewood banks!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

John Ackerly

Burning Hunk
We got a big grant from the US Forest Service to give sub-grants of up to $15,000 to volunteer firewood banks. If you know of a firewood bank in your area, please let them know about this funding opportunity. Funding is intended mainly for splitters, trailers, chainsaws, drying sheds and all manner of safety equipment. Buying truck length logs is also an eligible expense.

Its a non-competitive grant and there are very few reasons for an existing firewood bank to be denied. They do have to agree to use safety equipment like chaps and have their volunteers sign a liability waiver form - and do their absolute best to only deliver seasoned firewood during the heating season. Its been a fascinating process learning about the scores of banks around the country, especially the tribal ones. On the east coast, a lot of firewood banks deliver 20 - 100 cord per winter. One tribal firewood band delivered 1,800 cords!

We are processing applications on a rolling basis and still plenty of funding left.

Thanks,

John

Reactions: kennyp2339
Nice!

Not to be a Dick, but... define "seasoned". ;hm If the experience developed on this forum says anything, they should be nailing that term down with some actual numbers and methods of measurement, to qualify.

We use 20% MC. We absolutely don't want to fund firewood banks that are delivering wood over 30% MC during the heating season, but we can't monitor it. They are required to use moisture meters and periodically record and report moisture content.
John

Reactions: Ashful
What is a firewood bank?

What is a firewood bank?
Yes, I haven't heard of that term. Are they required to sell the wood at a set discount? Or do they offer it for free?

Reactions: Highbeam
I read up on them (just a little), and they seem to be like a food bank, but for firewood. A great idea, but a heck of a lot more work than collecting donated canned goods!

Yes, I haven't heard of that term. Are they required to sell the wood at a set discount? Or do they offer it for free?
Firewood banks are just like food banks and lots of churches run both. We estimate that there are at least over 100 wood banks but there could be twice that amount. They give the wood away to needy households in their communities. Some do more formal income verification or require recipients to be elderly. Some expect recipients to volunteer for a day or two, or help out however they are able - like bringing baked goods for the volunteers. It s a pretty inspiring network of groups that really believe in firewood! So part of our work is identifying them and getting them to learn from another. Congress earmarked $8 million to support them over 5 years, and we got $712,000 for the first year. Here is more about them: http://www.forgreenheat.org/issues/firewoodbanks.html

We have a local program like this for seniors and folks in need. I will contact them.

Reactions: John Ackerly
After putting in time at our local food bank running fork lifts and moving freight, I would much rather be processing firewood to help. Nice concept, even if the wood isn’t perfectly seasoned to “hearth.com” standards.

John, can you check your PM? I have an interested local group that could use some help.

Reactions: John Ackerly
Wow. I had not be on Hearth.com in quite some time. I had told a cousin about the site years ago. He knew that I am one of the co-organizers of our local woodbank here in Monkton, Vermont. When he stumbled across mention here of the grant program for woodbanks, he suggested I might want to have a look. I followed the link @John Ackerly posted to find out more: http://www.forgreenheat.org/issues/firewoodbanks.html I was very surprised when I got to the bottom of the page to see a picture of myself along with the co-organizer of the Monkton WoodBank, Lee Kauppila. I'm really curious how they ended up with this picture of our small operation when we had no idea they or the grant program even existed.

Do firewood banks have competitive rates?

Kidding aside, sounds like a great program! I am going to see if there is something like this in my area. I know someone drops wood off at the fire station before snow storms. I wonder who ever is doing that can get some grant action.