furnace to boiler conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

walkerdogman85

Feb 21, 2012
ohio
I have a hot blast 1557m inside and I want to move it outside in a insulated metal shed and make it into a boiler. I am wondering what all I need to make this happen as far as a forced draft kit a flue damper and what kind of circ pump and coil for the run inside. I also need to know how to make it to where if my thermostat calls for heat
it forces air into box and heats till it warms house up and then how to pinch it back off. Any info would be great any pics of others like it thank you

im not real familiar with turning it into a boiler, but the insulated metal shed i have seen a few times. the shed was then connected to the house with a make shift tunnel of sorts ,so add-on furnace could draw cold air from cold air return inside home and then run heat duct back into house as well (2 runs inside the box/tunnel).

what do you mean about "thermostat calls for heat it forces air into box and heats till it warms house up and then how to pinch it back off"??

What I mean is that the fire is smoldering until the house thermostat calls for heat there for kicking on a forced draft fan to rage the fire heating my water cause I am planning on just circulating my water so it will somewhat cool while heat is not needed I just need info on how to make it work and if anyone has done this before

I just can't see it being worth the time or money trying to convert a forced air furnace into a boiler. Sell the furnace and buy a wood boiler, a gasification boiler is always the recommended buy, but even an old used "smoke dragon" as they are referred to around here would have a much higher efficiency rating than any home brew boiler you would likely end up with after trying to modify a furnace. After buying a boiler, buy a coil (which has been properly sized) and install it in your furnace ductwork to distribute the heat around you house.

Morgan,That is good advice,I would take the money from sell a furnace and directly apply it to buying a gasification boiler.Even if the furnace wont bring much in a sale I wouldn't waste the time,effort or money in a conversion.

I have priced the hardy and it would cost 7500 to me that's alot of money just to burn wood I was just wondering if there was a chance in doing it cheaper

i think that i am just going to scratch the boiler conversion and just force air inside from the shed i build i just want it outside cause of the mess, bugs and the chance of a house fire. but thanks for the info

Status
Not open for further replies.