Galvanized sheetmetal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

~smokey~

Sep 25, 2013
I've read that galvanized sheetmetal shouldn't be used as stovepipe meterial, but
can it be used as extra heat shielding along the sides and back of the stove ?
what about as a half round shield behind the single wall stovepipe ? I picked up a 4' x 8'
sheet of 26g galvanized sheetmetal for cheap but not sure if it's safe to use with heat. my stove has single heat shields on the sides and double on the back.
IMG_5026.JPG

It should be fine as long as you're not welding it or getting it hot enough to burn the zinc off. that is the smoke you must be careful to avoid.

From what I can find it gives off fumes at about 700 degrees so a heat shield should be fine under normal conditions.

Thanks I appreciate the help, I'm confident now the side and back shields should be low enough temps to be safe if I space them an inch away from the factory shields, I was more concerned about the pipe shield sitting on top of the stove, to further decrease heat transfer from the top of the stove to the galvanized shield I was thinking of mounting it to this 3½" x ⅛" steel pipe first instead of directly onto the stove top, I have room to space it about 3" away from the pipe, the top of the shield will be mounted to the insulated chimney, the pic is from the stoves previous home.

IMG_5073a.JPG RegencyWoodBurningFireplace2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.