Game Plan for this winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2012
Southeast Indiana
In a previous thread, I explained I only cut oak in the spring to burn for that upcoming winter. Since I've learned oak should sit for two years, I started on getting this year's wood in ash and locust. It didn't take long to take down the first tree and hand split it. I could not believe how easy it was to split with a maul. I believe a man could cut split and stack a cord of this in an eight hour day.

Attachments

• 2E90A7CD.jpg
    2E90A7CD.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 132
You could probably do a cord in 4-5 hours providing its not 95 degrees, but why kill yourself. Nice looking wood. Im still after the elusive locust.

Reactions: timusp40
You could probably do a cord in 4-5 hours providing its not 95 degrees, but why kill yourself. Nice looking wood. Im still after the elusive locust.
weatherguy,
Got some of that elusive locust a few scrounges back. Had a few thorns too.

Attachments

• DSCF2971.JPG
    DSCF2971.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 107
weatherguy,
Got some of that elusive locust a few scrounges back. Had a few thorns too.

Good on you, is it plentiful in your area? There hardly any in my part of the state, theres a lot in the Connecticut Valley and the Cape, I guess it likes sandy soil.

Good on you, is it plentiful in your area? There hardly any in my part of the state, theres a lot in the Connecticut Valley and the Cape, I guess it likes sandy soil.
Weatherguy,
I just got lucky on that scrounge. Whenever locust comes up for grabs around here, it goes fast.
Tim

Good for you Tim and you are right about the splitting. You could do it in less than a day I suppose but not me. Those days are long gone. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.