Gap between Fireplace & Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Toggles

Nov 12, 2023
Salt Lake City, UT
Hello,

My wife and I purchased a home in May of this year. With the warmer weather, we didn't really look at the wood burning fireplace until the other day, we started to clean out the decorative glass the seller had put in. I noticed that they used spray foam between the fireplace and the hearth. I'm not sure if it is fire block foam or not, but from my understanding even that wouldn't be the right thing in this area since it is only rated to around 225 degrees.

Is this assumption right? If so, what could I replace the foam with? I will need to replace it with something because I can feel a draft coming through the gap so I want to stop that for when it gets below freezing.

Fireplace.jpg
Fireplace 1.jpg
Fireplace 2.jpg

Yes all that foam needs dug out of there. Show us a pic from.further back showing the whole thing