Gap between insert surround and stone fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cnw126

Sep 5, 2015
Maryland
Hello,

This is my first post but I have been lurking here for some time.

My wife and I decided to have a Hearthstone Clydesdale insert installed in our existing stone fireplace. The sales person brought to our attention that due to the irregular surface of the stone that there could be a considerable gap between the insert surround and the front face of the fireplace. This is something that I had not considered but I am concerned about for cosmetic reasons.

How have others here dealt with this problem? Is it possible to remove the stone high spots and fill the gap with some type of mortar?

I know nothing about masonry so any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Stones can certainly be chipped away so the surround fits right against the stone. Usually the unit will be set into place with surround attached, slid back tight against the stone and traced around. So you know which stones to cut. If it's natural stone it's pretty easy, if it's cultured stone veneer it will probably need cut with a grinder. It doesn't chip well, it's more likely to knock the whole stone loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.