Gardus Soot Eater and 2 x 90° turns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Trevor Tahclep

Burning Hunk
Oct 13, 2020
Quebec, Canada
Has anyone successfully used a Gardus Rotary Soot Eater or any other brand or model to move up into and clean a 6 inch stove pipe and chimney through 2 x 90° turns as shown in the image below with this exact set up. I am getting on in years and am looking for a easier system keeping my 2 feet on the ground off the roof, snow, ice and ladder.
Any suggestions / recommendations very welcomed.

90° stove pipe & chimney.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think I'd risk it. What would be better would be to change the stove pipe 90º to two 45s with an offset. Then you could interior brush up to the tee and then clean the chimney pipe through the tee cap.

Reactions: Wood Rat
Begreen thank you for the reply, 2 x 45° is feasible, however the tee cap is approx. 8 inches off the ground, so not certain if that would work due to the very short turn required.
It seems to me that in the past there was more soot / creosote in the stove pipe and timble than in the chimney section itself. Am I wrong in assuming this ?

Last edited:
Yes, the stove pipe and the horizontal section can be an accumulation spot for soot and sote. Another spot is the top of the chimney where the flue gases are coolest.

You are right. 8" below the tee cap is not a lot of working room. Unless a well under the cap could be dug to provide a working space, the best way to clean may be removing the stovepipe before entering the tee with the sooteater.

I have a similar setup (without the clean out) and use a soot eater. I think it's impossible to get the soot eater to go thru that second 90. You can't aim it "up" going in that elbow and you don't have a view of it.

Take the first 90 off and start in the horizontal section. I do that. I zip tie a trash bag.on the pipe, with a little hole for the soot eater to avoid dust in my home.

I just pull off the stove pipe and run my soot eater thru the thimble. Instead of trash bags I just turn on my shop vac and stick it in the thimble as well while I'm cleaning. No mess. Take the stove pipe outside to clean it.

Reactions: stoveliker
OK, just want to ensure I understand this correctly, when the double wall stove pipe is already off, I should be able to rotate / push a soot eater thru the thimble and up the insulated tee and chimney even if the thimble is 12'' to 15'' long ( can not remember the exact length ).
In the past always cleaned the chimney from top down.

Yes. I go in horizontally after taking off my first elbow, about 3 ft, and then 90 deg up, 26 ft. 6" dia.

Has anyone successfully used a Gardus Rotary Soot Eater or any other brand or model to move up into and clean a 6 inch stove pipe and chimney through 2 x 90° turns as shown in the image below with this exact set up. I am getting on in years and am looking for a easier system keeping my 2 feet on the ground off the roof, snow, ice and ladder.
Any suggestions / recommendations very welcomed.

View attachment 324134
The first Sooteater we bought has the stiffer rods (black ) I do the main pipe with that. We bought a second Sooteater that has more flexible rods (white) I can come in from the outside like in your picture and do the pipe going to the wood stove.

I cleaned our pipe the other day, I actually cleaned the pipe coming up to the elbow from the inside and then did down past the elbow from the outside. The reason I did it that way was the last time I cleaned using the flexible rods from the outside, I went down past the bypass.

I clean with a generic white-rod rotary cleaner that I bought on EBay. I go in through the stove, so that is one 90 degree turn to get vertical, go through two 45 elbows, then the cleanout Tee (2nd 90) then up to the cap. I have to give it a spin to get it through the cleanout Tee but it always just goes without a fight. I push it the rest of the way up without spinning, then spin and push/pull up/down on the way back down. I take the cleanout cap off and tie a garbage bag around it before I get going.

If you had two 45s in place of that 90, I bet you could send it right through with no disassembly.

20240130_220519.jpg

Reactions: bigealta