Garn clean out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodfarmer1

Nov 10, 2013
Bowmanville, On,Can
Had the boiler since ‘14 I think. Did the anode rod cleaning, always have water tested and use required chemicals.
Well today is clean out day. There is a crust on the bottom of the boiler everywhere except the area around the inlet pipe. Can still see the white of the epoxy coating. I am not happy.
570A8D03-E527-442A-8F5F-10C78BD6FDFC.jpeg
51AB2464-C822-4836-B957-C35DF85D8009.jpeg
C42ACA3D-9973-42BD-B477-EAC7FBEC859C.jpeg
1C654907-25BE-4CD8-8EDE-A40D71511676.jpeg

Looks like the bottom of a septic tank.

I wish I would have taken pictures of mind when I had the crack were the main heating chamber was welded to the front of the Garn. My water was always treated and tested and the water always looked clear when you looked in the man hole. Garn had been running nine years when it cracked and started leaking. I had a ton of sludge on the bottom of my also lots of scraping and cleaning. I wouldn't own a open system again. If you don't have a high temp water filter I would install one. I put on on mine when we did the welding repair.

I have several holes right through the bottom of mine. Will be having more steel plating welded to the bottom.

Is yours leaking out the bottom? The bottom of mine looked like yours but it had not pitted the steel. Most of the white was still there when it was cleaned up. Mine was pitted deeply on the top of the main and secondary burn chamber's both were not leaking water but would have so I had two 3/16 thick plates of steel rolled and welded to the top of both chamber's. Between the crack that was about a foot long and those two plates 20 pounds of 7018 rod was used to weld it up. I had shoulder surgery so I couldn't do the cleaning or the welding. A friend of a friend that I had put a furnace and AC in his house the year before did all the cleaning and I hired a welder to do the welding. For what this Garn cost it should have lasted better. I spent around $3,000 total to get back up and running.