Garn pump

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You can not trust the Garn tank temp sensor. I have three sensors suspended in a dry well into my tank thru the old anode hole and as I draft this I read almost 50 degrees difference between the top middle and bottom 1/3 points in the tank ....along with another number in the Garn control -which is read very high in the tank and above the elevation of your water out . I have a variable speed pump feeding the Garn side of the HX so that results in more monitoring complexity due to different mixing flows based on heat demand. Bottom line is that as others stated you just need better knowledge of your actual temps of what is flowing thru the pipes. The older Control by Web unit measures up to 9 locations and I’m tickled with it. The newest has even more capacity and can even allow remote monitoring of high temp flue values. Tape sensors to the pipe and just wrap with insulation and you get good numbers better than a degree. Don’t trust the CbW claim of submerging their sensors in the tank water and make up a dry well! I puked two sets of sensors before I wised up. You could also use simple thermometers taped and insulated to the pipes. Please know the IR thermometers are not very good for this purpose. Without accurate numbers you will drive yourself nuts and you will be flying blind.

As far as the filter ... mine runs with the blower and just plugs into the controler. Factory says the relay is big enough to handle the load. It’s pumped thru the upper and lower front ports to create a push/pull circulation in conjunction with the load connections at the rear. When drawing heat - stratification with hottest water up high is your friend and it is best to not mix more than necessary on draw down. When burning - your goal should be to mix to a single temp and the filter works well to help that. Dan