Q&A Gas burning logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

We just saw gas burning logs called Texas Bonfire by Golden Blount. Their logs are 70,000 and 80,000 BTU's. They are vented. Is there any concerns (i.e. carbon monoxide, soot, etc.) because of the high BTU's? I understand that I need to keep the flu open at all times. Most logs we have seen are 40,000 BTU's. The fire on the 80,000 is gorgeous and would really like to get them so any advise you can give us we would greatly appreciate. Also since our fireplace always smells after a fire, or rainy days, etc. we read about your advise on the fireplace deodorant which if we can find, we will get. If we get the gas logs will the fireplace continue to smell? Thanks so much for having this site!!!

Answer:

Most vented logs like the Peterson and Vermont Castings are up in the 80,000 BTU size range. So, no problem on this. The fireplace may still smell after the gas logs are installed, because the wood soot has had a long time to soak into the porous masonry. Cleaning the chimney well before installation of the logs may provide some help.

As long as the chimney drafts upwards, there should be no concern about CO or soot. Keep in mind that vented gas logs are only for use a few hours a week...not a heat source or for continuous use.

Status
Not open for further replies.