Gas fireplace exterior wall insulation/vent cover

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Funguy_83

Oct 4, 2021
Toronto
Hi everyone,

For the longest time I have noticed a strong draft coming into my house from the fireplace. This is especially noticeable during the winter. I pulled off the exterior vent cover from outside and seems to to me the new home build installer did a crap job. Shouldn’t there be some insulation around the exterior wall. What do you guys recommend or is this done correctly ?

48AE84C3-C055-477C-9FCE-9F96DC99134D.jpeg

You will have to look at the installation manual to see if insulation in that area is approved. If it is, go for it.
I would use some heat-rated tape gasket to seal the gap between the OD of the intake (outer) pipe & the
wall firestop, as well. Also check underneath the combustion chamber to make sure that all holes thru the
outer wall are sealed. Aluminum tape works very well for this application.