Gas Fireplace Inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaugust124

Feeling the Heat
Feb 14, 2010
Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
Hi Everyone,
Although I consider myself a wood guy (I plan on purchasing a wood fireplace insert very soon), my friend is in the market for an LP gas fireplace insert.
I do not have the measurements of the fireplace as of yet but, I do know that the home is a 2-story cape built in the 1950s and is 1300-1400 sq.ft. It is not well insulated and it does not have an open floor plan. She is looking for supplemental heat, not really trying to heat the whole house.

All that being said, she is a member of a direct purchasing club (If you know what I mean?), so she will not be going to a local dealer.
Honestly, I do not encourage anyone to go to a retail shop to pick the brains of a professional and then go purchase somewhere else. Because of that and the fact that I enjoy doing research, I am asking everyone here for their opinions on which brand is trustworthy and offers a good product.

The brands she has to choose from are: Napoleon, Lexington Forge, Monessen, Lennox, and Majestic Hearth.

Any input as to which she should consider or not consider would be great.

Thanks.

None of those brands strike me as top of the line stuff. I think Monessen might have some nice stuff. There should be some others more familiar with those brands. I think a few of those are all owned by the same company.

Jaugust124 said:
Hi Everyone,
Although I consider myself a wood guy (I plan on purchasing a wood fireplace insert very soon), my friend is in the market for an LP gas fireplace insert.
I do not have the measurements of the fireplace as of yet but, I do know that the home is a 2-story cape built in the 1950s and is 1300-1400 sq.ft. It is not well insulated and it does not have an open floor plan. She is looking for supplemental heat, not really trying to heat the whole house.

All that being said, she is a member of a direct purchasing club (If you know what I mean?), so she will not be going to a local dealer.
Honestly, I do not encourage anyone to go to a retail shop to pick the brains of a professional and then go purchase somewhere else. Because of that and the fact that I enjoy doing research, I am asking everyone here for their opinions on which brand is trustworthy and offers a good product.

The brands she has to choose from are: Napoleon, Lexington Forge, Monessen, Lennox, and Majestic Hearth.

Any input as to which she should consider or not consider would be great.
e
Thanks.

Hi,
Napoleon and Lenox,(Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval),are supposed to be decent from what I heard,but this again is only hearsay.

Long Burn

Yes Mendota is what I was thinking of when I said they had some nice stuff. Scratch my comment about Monessen, I have never heard anything about their fireplaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.