Gas Fireplace, key not working.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tankabbot

Feb 6, 2020
HOUSTON
Greetings, we purchased a home in Houston where we would probably use a fireplace two weeks out of a year. This is that time.

I purchased a gas fireplace key but it does not seem to work. The co section in the wall looks exactly like the connection on the key (see pic attached) Something isnt right or my ignorance is much more than I thought.

I turned the gas on in the wall with a hex key to just see if gas came out of the fireplace and it did so it does seem to work. However I am uncomfortable with the way I have to turn the gas on and to be transparent, I would prefer not to burn the house down. It has obviously been used before.

Any thoughts on this predicament?
15810384576085404249577726112288.jpg
15810385042187329692375905134106.jpg