Q&A Gas fireplace logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have always had a woodburning stove or a fireplace insert in my home. We enjoy the atmosphere and comfort that they provide. We are interested in replacing burning wood with gas. We would like to keep both the atmosphere and the warmth that burning wood provides. Our options appears to be a gas log insert for our fireplace or a warm air circulator for a gas log set. Would you please send us a price difference and the pros and cons of each option Thanks for your time and prompt response.

Answer:

Dear Friend, You have more options than you mention. I have seen a (disturbing) trend of people who really used their wood stoves and fireplaces inserts considering a gas log might do the same job. But, alas, it's not that simple. There are two types of gas logs, vented and unvented..the vented produce little or no heat, the unvented (vent free) produce a lot of heat, but do not look as nice and are only for occasional, attended use (like a kerosene heater). Even a heat circulator with a gas log is quite inefficient at heating an area. A better solution might be to consider the gas versions of what you already had, that is an efficient, vented and sealed appliance...namely gas fireplace inserts and stoves. These are able to be used more often and have many advantages including protection of indoor air quality, etc. They do cost more than the other options - expect to spend from $1800 to $3500 installed. If you are in our market area, feel free to stop by and we'll explain them to you..otherwise visit your local hearth retailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.