Gas fireplace won't stay on when power is cut, and the power is currently out, so using a UPS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jmunjr

Oct 29, 2020
Houston, Texas, USA
Got a gas fireplace we turn on with an on/off RF remote which connects to a controller that's wired to an electric valve under the fire.. There is a pilot light that is on 24/7 even without power, but the only way to turn on the fireplace and keep it on is if the control unit is plugged in with power. If power is cut the fire goes out. I'm in Houston and the power is out, so I have the controller plugged into a UPS for now. I don't see anything where I can manually keep the valve open. Please help. Attached is a pic.

20210215_184410.jpg

First of all, not all fireplaces are alike.
You have to narrow it down to a make & model.
Secondly, I don't see any electronics under there.
What happens if you JUMP the TH-TP & TH
terminals with a small wire?
Please post a pic of the pilot assembly...

Got a gas fireplace we turn on with an on/off RF remote which connects to a controller that's wired to an electric valve under the fire.. There is a pilot light that is on 24/7 even without power, but the only way to turn on the fireplace and keep it on is if the control unit is plugged in with power. If power is cut the fire goes out. I'm in Houston and the power is out, so I have the controller plugged into a UPS for now. I don't see anything where I can manually keep the valve open. Please help. Attached is a pic.

View attachment 274696
All you need to do, is to connect the top terminal, and the bottom terminal on the gas valve. That is all that the remote does, is connect those two. I see an extra wire going to those two terminals, so I am guessing it goes to a switch, or thermostat.

First of all, not all fireplaces are alike.
You have to narrow it down to a make & model.
Secondly, I don't see any electronics under there.
What happens if you JUMP the TH-TP & TH
terminals with a small wire?
Please post a pic of the pilot assembly...

Thanks for replying.
It uses this to turn it on/off.
Amazon product ASIN B07CH1FVYP
Power is run into the valve controller. Without power it closes. Shorting those terminals does nothing, because there's no power to short. I imagine this is a safety mechanism of some sort.

All you need to do, is to connect the top terminal, and the bottom terminal on the gas valve. That is all that the remote does, is connect those two. I see an extra wire going to those two terminals, so I am guessing it goes to a switch, or thermostat.
Thanks, it uses this to turn on/off:
Amazon product ASIN B07CH1FVYPHow would shorting the terminals work if there's no power to short? I was looking for something mechanical. Maybe a safety thing?

Can't really see it.
Yeah it's behind glass I can't remove. Screen too. Not shutting it off as it's 15 F degrees outside. This fireplace is the only thing keeping the inside of this house above 50F right now.

Why do you need to see the pilot? It's on all the time, even without power. Not sure if it is thermopile, if that matters. I'll try shorting those terminals later, but I believe I tried that in October and it did nothing.

As everyone else said those terminals just need to be jumped. The thermopile is what creates the voltage to energize the valve. And like another posted pointed out you have a tstat wire running from those terminals to someplace... Got any light switches or stats that you never knew what they did? And the pilot light and assembly as a whole is crucial to valve function.

As everyone else said those terminals just need to be jumped. The thermopile is what creates the voltage to energize the valve. And like another posted pointed out you have a tstat wire running from those terminals to someplace... Got any light switches or stats that you never knew what they did? And the pilot light and assembly as a whole is crucial to valve function.

Yeah that's what I first thought and I had tried jumping them last October with no success. I guess the wire I used had too much resistance or something. Realized it was indeed a thermopile so tried it again using a better wire and it worked. Thanks.