Gas insert direct vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pdpfa3

Aug 6, 2018
Delaware
I have a 4 yr old home with a propane gas insert fireplace on an exterior wall. It direct vents from back of insert out through the wall, that has a buildout for the fireplace. My problem is the glass front on the fireplace has condensation on it all summer and I have gone through two sets of logs deteriorating from the moisture in the fireplace. Several of my neighbors have the exact same fireplace but no problem with condensation on inside of fireplace. What could be causing the problem?

Try leaving the pilot on. It will burn approximately one gallon of LP every 4.75 days, but it SHOULD keep the inside of the fireplace dry. If that doesn't work, or you don't want to incur the cost of burning the pilot, try unclasping the lower glass clips & pulling the bottom of the glass slightly away from the unit. This will allow for more air circulation, but you MUST ensure they are re-clipped before firing up the unit for the heating season...

Last edited:
Try leaving the pilot on. It will burn approximately one gallon of LP every 4.75 days, but it SHOULD keep the inside of the fireplace dry. If that doesn't work, or you don't want to incur the cost of burning the pilot, try unclasping the lower glass clips & pulling the bottom of the glass slightly away from the unit. This will allow for more air circulation, but you MUST ensure they are re-clipped before firing up the unit for the heating season...
No pilot, electronic ignition, tried with bottom latches disconnected still had condensation. When the glass is removed you can feel the draft of air coming in through vent from outside. I’m wondering if builder failed to insulate the built out fireplace box constructed for insert and if that could be the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
You unlatched the bottom clips, but did you create a gap for airflow?
What manufacturer & model unit do you have?
Many IPI units have a standing pilot option...

You unlatched the bottom clips, but did you create a gap for airflow?
What manufacturer & model unit do you have?
Many IPI units have a standing pilot option...

It’s a heat n glo 6000 clx, the gap was about a half inch. The house is a energy efficient house that has a exhaust fan that comes on through out the day to draw stale air out. It’s built on a conditioned 4 foot crawl space.

E87A895C-5EEB-4A77-BF76-FC127C6C8709.jpeg
506CD4F3-A8B2-45A9-B6B8-9314D58F6ECA.jpeg
It’s a heat n glo 6000 clx, the gap was about a half inch. The house is a energy efficient house that has a exhaust fan that comes on through out the day to draw stale air out. It’s built on a conditioned 4 foot crawl space.

This is the set up of fireplace don’t know if this will help.

Have have similar question!
I had my woodburning fireplace cleaned and inspected a number of years ago during a remodel and was told there were some gaps between the clay flue tiles and a gap between the bottom flue tile and the smoke chamber. I was quoted $ to fix, but opted to take the fireplace out of service.

I now would like to explore using the fireplace, but can't afford anything close to $. I have no interest in burning wood. I thought a direct vent gas insert might be a good option, but every chimney repair/fireplace dealer I have called says that we must repair the chimney lining before installing an insert. They also say an insert and installation would cost at least $ which is more than to bring the fireplace up to wood burning standards.

Because it appears these units can be vented through a wood framed space, I cannot understand why a stainless vent cannot be run through a masonry chimney without relining it.
Am I completely misunderstanding how a direct vent insert works?

Last edited: