Gas Insert Surround before or after ledgerstone install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mcbooya

May 10, 2021
Midwest
I am DIY remodeling my old river rock and pre-fab wood burning fireplace with new ledgerstone veneer panels and installing a new gas insert as well. Should the ledgerstone be installed first, and then attach the metal surround for the insert so the stone is behind it? The insert surround is just a flat 1/4" thick black steel panel that extends about 6" on sides and top around the insert. Due to the varying thickness of the ledgerstone this would mean there is a shadow line and gaps as it will only be touching the thicknest parts of some rocks. Is there any issue with the gap other than aesthetics? Or should the insert and surround be set in place, and then install the ledgerstone panels butting up against the outer edge of the surround panel, which would mean the rock cut surfaces would be exposed and perhaps a visible gap between the stone and surround to account for thermal expansion of the surround? Or the third option I could think of would be to install the stone so it is installed partially onto the surround, but is thermal expansion a concern for installing the stone?

Thanks.

If you install the stone first, you're right, there will be unsightly gaps where the
thickest facing forces the surround away from the face of the ZC box.
I have installed inserts in this situation & they really don't look that aesthetically
pleasing. Overlapping the surround with the stone, will prevent a service tech from
being able to pull the unit out of the opening, if required. Many times, the best look
is where a thin steel "picture frame" of metal, 1/8 - 1/4" larger than the surround is
installed first. Then install the stone. You can make it as deep as you need, in order
to hide the cut edges of the stone.
Hope this helps.

Good idea, thanks. So install the fireplace surround tight against the cement board wall and mark the edges, remove the surround to attach the angle iron so the screws will be covered by the surround once installed, then install the stone butting up tight against the angle iron then reattach the surround. Should there be any expansion gap between the angle iron and the surround or can it be butted up tight against it?

There only needs to be enough room to allow removal of the unit.
if you leave 1/16" to 1/8" gap & both the surround & the picture
frame are of a dark color, whatever gap you leave shouldn't be
very noticeable....