Gas Line Clearances from wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotw1tmohr

Mar 25, 2008
northern New Jersey
I am installing a wood stove in my basement. I have a 3/4 inch natural gas line running along my basement ceiling going over to my kitchen oven on the first floor. How far away does my wood stove need to be. Where I want to put my wood stove is where the gas line runs. It would have about 4 to 5 feet of clearance between the wood-stove top and the basement ceiling where the pipe runs. Is this safe at all? please send me feed back.

I have the exact same set-up (gas line in ceiling right above wood stove), and the gas line was installed after the wood stove by a "certified" installer. When I questioned it he said it was not a problem and gave some explanation that seemed plausible (I am pretty retentive, so it must have been) as I recall, but that has been about 10 yrs ago, and I haven't blown up yet.

As long as it meets the required clearances for the stove it will be fine. The gas in the pipe wont ignite no matter how hot it gets because it is too concentrated and there is no oxygen in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.