Gas Log Choice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EricS

Hearth Supporter
Nov 12, 2007
Marion, IL
My wife and I are purchasing a zero clearance wood burning fireplace with a gas option and have two log choices one is an Eiklor Flames Log and the other is the New Appalachian Stoves gas log.

The Unit is a fully vented unit. I have seen the Eiklor logs burn and Love them, however the Appalachian logs according to the dealer look just as nice if not better. I have been to both websites and cant tell about the Appalachian log set. Can someone tell me if they have seen the Appalachian logs burning and let me know what you thought about them. I am thinking I am going to go with the Eiklors unless the dealer can show me the Appalachian logs burning. He has them on order for his show room they are just not in yet.

Thanks

EricS

I have not seen either so I cannot comment on that. FYI this forum is most focused on wood burning, and being "green" by getting the most heat from your wood. I don't expect many here to have a lot of expiriance with gas logs, as they are huge energy wasters. They pull tons of room air out of the house as they burn and nearly all the BTUs from burning the gas goes up the chimney as well. Not trying to stop you from buying then, just giving the facts.

Thank You for the information do you know of any good websites well any website than that would be able to help me. I do have one more question than if the gas logs are going into a wood burning fireplace would the wood not cause the inside air to go up through the chimney also?

EricS

Yes, burning wood in that type of fireplace is also not very efficient at all (often less than zero). If you wanted as efficient fireplace you would want a ZC EPA wood fireplace, Wood stove or insert, or a gas direct vent fireplace. The direct vent gas fireplaces have come a long way and look pretty darn good. A few of them I would say even come close to the look of the gas logs.

Status
Not open for further replies.