Q&A Gas log fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am about to build a house. I am wondering if gas log fire places really heat a room? How efficient are they at putting heat into the room? I do not want an unvented one. Please let me know the pros and cons, and if wood would be better.

Answer:

An open gas log fireplace will not heat the room well. But a sealed unit, commonly called "Direct Vent" can produce quite a bit of heat. The better units even can operate from a thermostat, allowing control of the heat. These units have high efficiencies, in the area of 60% to 80%. The choice of wood or gas is more of a lifestyle choice..do you enjoy cutting and stacking wood? The smell of a woodfire? Gas cannot duplicate these things...but it CAN heat your room and home.

Status
Not open for further replies.