Gas log set

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Midnyteryder196

Jan 19, 2018
Southern Iowa
Hey guys thanks for the add, I'm pretty new to fireplaces in general.

We bought our first home in August and it has what was a wood burning fireplace, Majestic RC36 with an outside air kit, with a Rasmussen vented gas log set. Some previous owner installed a blueflame log lighter back when it was wood burning, and they left the valve in the wall and it now turns the gas on and off to logs. It is a manual light setup. It has 1/2" gas inlet with 1/2" flex hose to the burner assembly and then drops down to 3/8". It is a 40k btu burner setup.

We have been in the process of redoing the exterior of the fireplace as the tile surrounding it was held up by liquid nails. So we tore the old surround out, the hearth out, redid the tile, and made a new mantle for it. As we have almost completed everything we decided to paint the fire box to give it the new feel we was wanting. So I started to take everything out of the box and notice that the logs have quite a bit of soot on them, I cleaned them up and didn't think too much about em. So fast forward a couple days and we have everything painted and I installed the burner pan, sand, glowing embers n logs tonight, and test fired it to see how it would look, and within 5 min of running it the bottom of one of the logs is completely black with soot. When I had it pretty clean before installing tonight.

So my questions are what color should the flames really be? What issues should I be checking to alleviate so much soot?
Capture+_2018-01-19-00-03-05.png
Capture+_2018-01-19-00-02-47.png
Capture+_2018-01-19-00-05-45.png

Last edited:
That is the nature of gas logs. The flames "lick" the logs & the sooting occurs. Looks like a Petersen Log Set. I don't think there is an air shutter to adjust the ATF mix & mitigate the issue. Just use a soft bristle parts brush & let the soot fall into the ember bed. It'll burn off.

That is the nature of gas logs. The flames "lick" the logs & the sooting occurs. Looks like a Petersen Log Set. I don't think there is an air shutter to adjust the ATF mix & mitigate the issue. Just use a soft bristle parts brush & let the soot fall into the ember bed. It'll burn off.

So its not something I should be concerned. About? I had read that with gas there shouldn't be very much soot, and being there was that much while only running it for 5 min, I didn't know if there was something wrong that should be checked out.