gas logs in traditional fireplace questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorrobert

Mar 5, 2014
boston
I was thinking of getting propane logs in my traditional fireplace. (Chimney is on an exterior wall, clay liner, top damper).

Originally I really wanted vented logs, but I dont want to have to remove my damper. Yesterday is was 2 degrees out, that would mean a lot of heat loss. Also, when the damper is left open, we get quite the down draft and a bad smell ( the chimney has been cleaned several times, down draft always brings a slight smell). Because I have a top damper, the clips they use to leave the damper open won't work - I assume.

So I thought what about ventless logs instead. Is it ok to install ventless logs in a chimney? I would still open the damper when using them, but in case I forgot, or in a power outage, they might come in handy. But I assume vent free logs aren't designed to operate in this way and so they wont be up to code.

What can do I for vented logs, to prevent a down draft and a huge amount of heat loss given the damper rules. I dont want to install a chimney balloon, might as well use real wood if im going to make it that inconvenient.

Would the pilot light prevent a downdraft? i'd still have a significant amount of heat loss - and it would be a waste of money.

Thanks for the help.

edit: I know the correct solution would be a gas insert - but that's way more than I'm looking to spend right now.

According to this:
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-95622685483394/g9manual.pdf

I can install a vent-less system in a traditional fireplace. Now I just need to know if they are legal in Mass. Does anyone have ventless logs with a damper? Does it work the way I would think?

The instructions you linked have a section called "when used in the commonwealth of massachusetts" which suggests that they can. I'm sure someone will be along that knows better than me.

If you search in this forum there are some posts about how much propane leaving the pilot lit will cost. For natural gas it's about 8 bucks a month. Propane's probably double that.

Status
Not open for further replies.