Gas Splitter towing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay H

Nov 20, 2006
NJ
If I was to rent or buy a gas splitter, do any of you know the general regulations as far as trailer lights, etc.? I don't own a flatbed trailer and I'm only 2 miles from the nearest store that sells gas splitters. I am a short bit farther from a rental place but either way, I am aware of the MPH limitation. The splitters I've seen at stores don't have trailer lights on them and I'm wondering if these are required by law in the state of NJ? I just installed my hitch for the express purpose of towing a splitter home and eventual purchase of a small flatbed trailer so I don't know the regulations here and have not been successfull finding any info on the web.

Jay

Jay,

My understanding was that trailer lights etc, were only required on towed objects when said objects obstruct anothers view of the towing vehicles' lights. So if your are towing something small that's not in the way of your lights you don't need auxiliary lights. I'm not sure of this as I'm no expert, but that's what I recall. I would contact the service department at a local rv dealership as they are usually well versed in local trailer requirements/laws. Thinking about it some more it may also be related to the length of the item being towed as long landscape trailers are low enough to see the lights on the tow vehicle but are so long as to require lights maybe. Just guessing here again.

HTH,

Eric

Eric is correct, but your state could be different. Some thing to consider when trailering a splitter is whether or not it has suspension. If it's a hard tail, they bounce like nuts and you will have to be careful.

Jay, i'm pretty sure what eric says applies in nj. lowes does sell a splitter that is equipped with taillights. i have one from TSC and drive with it all the time, mostly backroads in hunterdon county, i've never driven by a cop. i don't like going over 35-40 and would never go on a highway with it. No rear axles, it bounces all over the place.

Cool, I will be picking one up... According to Lowes, the model they have is the LS27T but according to Troy-Bilt, they have 2 27-ton models, the LS27 and the LS27 "deluxe" model, the 27T supposedly has taillights and the 27 doesn't.. however, I didn't see any on any of the splitters there..

Jay

Smokey said:
Sometimes the deluxe model splits horizontal and vertical, can make life a little easier.
They both supposedly split v/h. I only difference the TB's website says is the oil reservoir on the 27T is 3.5 gallons vrs the 3 on the regular and the 14sec cycle time on the 27T vrs 19sec on the 27.

I can't verify anything on the splitters at lowes because not all the literature was there and I didn't feel like waiting for a salesperson to track down either. When I go tomorrow, it will be a lot quieter so I can find somebody..

Jay

My co worker and I were just discussing this same thing, as we were thinking on towing his splitter to my house. We called the State patrol and they informed us that in my state the splitter needs to be licensed (have a plate/tag on it) in order to tow it on the road, they said lights were not required but recommended to put a set of magnetic taillights on it. I ended up renting a splitter and it did indeed have a license plate on it, did not worry about the lights. But keep in mind this is Washington state, they require us to put a license plate on a camper that rides in the back of your truck. Its all about collecting that tax $$

Jay...
The best thing to do is call or stop by the rental place and "ask some friendly (specific) questions".
Calling the DMV and asking directly is the best bet.
Some states exempt splitters as "agriculural implements"...NJ "I would bet" doesn't.
Here (In Massachusetts) for example, The rental place "specifically quotes 'chapter and verse' as to what the law is".
If not required...good "rule of thumb" (with splitters "rated for over the road use") limit travel to 5 Miles and keep the speed at 35MPH or below...Check the manufacturers specs...and look at the "Rating of the tires"...if the tires say "Not for Highway Use"...5/35 is a good rule...if it says "Not for road use" don't tow it on the street.
Tow dollies for example (here)...are not required to have a plate (when unloaded)...so long as (when it is loaded) the vehicle it "carries" is registered. Most states are "Compack states" or have "Reciprocity agreements"...if you can legally do it in your own state you can do it in other states (But there are exceptions to the rules).

Why mention this? Because if I load a vehicle onto a tow dolly and "head south" I'm not breaking any laws...But entering into NJ??? "Tow dollies are illegal for use on the Jersey Pike/Garden state parkway" :)

Happy Motoring... :)

If you buy one tow it home. If you rent , tow it home then tow back. I rent splitters and chipper from ACE
Hardware and never thought about it.

Well, I bought the splitter from Lowes and towed it home successfully. I did not go faster than 35mph and since I was going the opposite way of rush hour, wasn't too bad traffic wise.. I still let folks go by as I'm sure they were hurrying to work like everybody in NJ....

What was very disconcernnig is the fact that I can't see the thing at all with my side or my rear view mirror. I'm going to have to use a flag if I ever trailer it again but then I hopefully will have a full blown trailer sooner or later...

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.