Gas to Pellet boiler conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timberframe

Dec 11, 2013
Mid Michigan
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to take a existing gas boiler and convert the boiler to burn pellets. In other words, I would add a auger, pellet storage, and change the gas burning head of a gas boiler to a pellet burning head? I currently have a Munchkin 80M gas boiler that runs a radiant floor heat system. Thanks for you feedback.

I'm waiting to hear back from Pellergy, but it sounds like most propane and natural gas boilers cannot be converted. Bummer.

I'm waiting to hear back from Pellergy, but it sounds like most propane and natural gas boilers cannot be converted. Bummer.

Those without a mounted burned would be difficult - as this, like an oil burner, requires a chamber to fire into

I have not done it, but you could look at Pensotti cast iron boilers as a good base for that. the Pellx system would be a good route. you definitely won't be able to do it with your munchkin.

karl

I have not done it, but you could look at Pensotti cast iron boilers as a good base for that. the Pellx system would be a good route. you definitely won't be able to do it with your munchkin.

karl
Thanks Karl for the reply. With the Pensotti boiler, would it still feed in the Munchkin boiler or would it be a stand alone? Also would I need a chimney or could I pipe into the direct vent of the Munchkin?

It would be impossible with a Munchkin. Totally wrong type of firebox design as the Munchy is made to function as a condensing boiler. I would advise avoiding anyone who might tell you it could be done. Seriously.

As to your question about using the PVC vent of the Munchkin for venting a pellet appliance, that would be a very definitive no also.

If there was ever an oil fired unit that was perfectly built for a Pellergy burner it would be a Buderus.

Reactions: AndrewChurchill
Status
Not open for further replies.