Gas Valve or Thermocoupling on a Gas insert stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clark5561

Oct 22, 2008
Lincoln, RI
Hi!

I have 15 year or older gas fireplace insert made by Gas Technology INC that will not run. Here is the problem my pilot is lighting fine but to get the burner to light I have to hit the gas valve then the burner will start right up another way to make it work is sometimes it will come on automatically after 15 minutes, but hitting the valve will make it start right away. I have a plain volt meter not a milli volt meter to check the system. Do you think it is best just to replace the gas valve since it seems to be sticking or do you think it is not warming up to make the valve open and then when I hit it I am forcing the valve so should I start there and replace the thermocouple first? Anyone have ideas???
Mike

Do NOT try to repair or lubricate a gas control valve! The results could get ugly. If you have a combination gas valve that requires you to hold the pilot knob in and can get the pilot to stay lit, it probably isn't the thermocouple. The thermocouple holds the safety side of the valve open and the control side opens and closes to control the burner. A combination valve will have a single off-pilot-on knob.

If it's really old, you might have a pilot that doesn't have a safety; in this case, the thermocouple is the safety for the main valve only. If you loosen the thermocouple electrical connection at the valve and the pilot stays on, it's the older style. In this case, it might be worth it to try changing the thermocouple. They're cheap; less than $10 at most hardware stores.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Note - post containing dangerous advice to attempt lubricating a gas valve deleted. This kind of high hazard advice is not welcome, and if continued, the poster making it won't be either...

Gooserider (In MOD mode...)

Status
Not open for further replies.