Gas Vent Pipe???!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bone1099

Jan 5, 2009
Northwest GA
I have a neghbor who installed some old school potbelly type stove in his house/shack has an old brick chimney and was a bit concerned with its integrity so he went down to home depot and bought a few sticks of double wall gas vent pipe. He said cuz it was cheaper and it performs beautifully. Is this not horribly dangerous. i know it will work but... I guess i just dont know what to say. I know im trying to sip from a fire hose but I just thought you guys would have a field day with this. Input???

Ask him to make sure his will is made out & NEVER spend the night there in the winter time.
That set-up has DEATH written all over it...
I doubt any type of gas pipe is rated for the temperatures of that woodstove...

If you can drop a hint to the local building inspector & have him drop by without giving yourself away,
you'll probably save your buddy's life...
Aside from that, got any fireman type friends who can show him the error of his ways?

Status
Not open for further replies.