Gas vs Woodstove. I need poster's advice.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger the Dodger

Dec 30, 2007
Eastern PA
I am currently torn between which type stove to purchase. If I purchase a wood stove, I'm going to have to have a new liner system intalled in my chimney. This is a result of a shoddy job that was done on a previously installed liner system approximately 20 years ago. The current state of the chimney is unsafe for wood burning. Including stove purchase, the difference in cost of wood vs gas is approximately $1000 more for the wood system, this includes the chimney repair vs the cost of gas, tank, and setup for the gas system. We will burn the stove only on weekends, regardless of the type stove we purchase. This purchase is more for ambiance than heat. I'm anxious to hear reader's comments.

Well, I guess if you can spend that kind of money for some thing to look at, then the price of gas is no issue to you. I believe there is the sound of wood crackling, along with the smell of wood burning that gives a very warm, comfort, kozy atmosphere with in the home. I would go with the wood.....besides that, it's very good excirsize to get out outdoors and cut and stack some wood. make it a family thing, have fun with it, and you will all enjoy your stove more.

If you burn with wood and you get it fairly cheaply or free, you will make up the difference in cost in a few years, even just burning on weekends. You say it is mostly for ambiance not heat, but the woodstove would heat the place for real, so obviously you would be saving on whatever other type of heating/fuel cost you normally have. Most of us here are prejudiced in favor of wood, I am pretty keen on watching the fires and so on. I would say get a woodstove with a large viewing window. That is the optimal ambiance re: fire. That assumes you and your family/friends whoever will be hanging around on these weekends is up to schlepping firewood around, splitting wood, etc. If you don't want any hassles at all or hate the thought of mucking about with wood, then go for gas.

I find zero ambiance in watching gas logs.

it if you want to get your hands dirty kind of question, wood is fun to do, I cut and split and haul the wood, if I didn't do that during the winter I'd weigh 400lbs by spring haha, gas is clean, but if your gas log goes out, you might have to call the repair man, if my wood stove goes out, I put some paper and wood in and it's relit, I think it's a mentalty, maybe go with both

I wouldn't have a gas line anywhere near my house but if you are just looking for the occasional flicker of flames put in the gas stove. No muss, no mess, no work. Just click on, click off.

Status
Not open for further replies.