Gasket cement on face of gasket, big deal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

void791

Sep 6, 2018
K/W Ontario
So as part of my harman p61 restoration, I am replacing the glass and door gasket. In the process of replacing the door gasket I have accidentally got some of the black gasket cement on the front (portion to touch stove) face of the door gasket. I think I had some on my gloves and didn't notice. It's not super heavy like a blob, just kind of painted black and tad flattened. Do you all think this cause an issue with sealing well?

First time replacing gaskets so much to be learned :)

Thanks!

Dollar Test. Put Dollar in, Close Door. Can you pull it out easily? It will let smoke out. If it's tight and you almost rip. Your Good. Personally I think it's nothing to worry about. But Dollar Test will be determining factor before firing up stove. Good Draft should prevent any minor smoke.

Thanks all. Probably just being paranoid. Given I just painted the stove I have it fired up on the patio (to cure paint and in case it smokes) and there is no smoke (from incense) being sucked in around that area. I went and messed up the glass gasket tho, which is leaving trails on my nice clean glass. :( When the stove cools I will dollar bill test that the door....and take a second stab at the glass gasket