Gasket leak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
IMG_1255.JPG i have done dollar bill test on my door gasket an it comes up tight in most spot, but allows the bill to be pulled out with slight effort on door side. I noticed today that I have what looks like soot marks just outside of door on that side. I will replace gasket as soon as possible. I was surprised to see this as I figured any small leak in gasket would only allow air in stove. Not sure exactly how long marks have been there as this room is typically pretty dim, but I do not think it has been there too long either. Otherwise, stove appears to working well with dry wood and no blockage of liner or cap. I have not noticed smoke in the room when stove is in operation.
While I have carbon monoxide and smoke detectors in the house, is there reason for concern between now and when I can replace gasket? Mainly wondering if carbon monoxide is a concern here.

Last edited:
To confuse matters, I noticed that I have similar but smaller marks on other side of door where I know gasket is tight against dollar bill. Any insight would be appreciated.

IMG_1687.JPG Here is the pic

Is it a knife-edge that the gasket seals against or is the front of the stove flat?

its a knife edge. I have the same stove, doing a dollar bill test is tough as it always seems to be tight because of the edge. Further, it would be tough for the left side of the door to be loose as it has a constant spring tension. I could be wrong so but thats my experience. Take a look at the gasket to see if theres indentation from the edge, and as long as the spring is functional it should be sealing ok. One thing i do every now and then is light up a stick of incense, turn off the blower and go around the door with it, see if any is sucked in anywhere.

did the incense test around door. Smoke will go in only where decorative plate is, which I believe houses the air intake. If I'm wrong, hopefully others will chime in.

if youre talking about the plate above the door, yes thats the intake

if youre talking about the plate above the door, yes thats the intake

Yes that's it. Smoke appears to be entering the air intake only and not the door, which seems good. Not sure why I have the stains then.

its a knife edge. I have the same stove, doing a dollar bill test is tough as it always seems to be tight because of the edge. Further, it would be tough for the left side of the door to be loose as it has a constant spring tension. I could be wrong so but thats my experience. Take a look at the gasket to see if theres indentation from the edge, and as long as the spring is functional it should be sealing ok. One thing i do every now and then is light up a stick of incense, turn off the blower and go around the door with it, see if any is sucked in anywhere.

wanted to update/refresh this thread. I see indentation throughout most of door gasket. The spot (about 1.5 inches long) where I see little to no indentation is where I have dollar bill pull out pretty easily. The bill will be held up by the door, but with small effort it can be pulled out. When I did incense test, I was not seeing smoke getting pulled into that spot. Stove appears to perform fine.. I realize one way or another, this will need addressing at some point being that I'm guessing that a small leak may be present. With small gasket leaks like this, should there be a concern regarding carbon monoxide? I have CO detectors, but still curious.

Where there is smoke there is CO. Highly likely it's such a minuscule amount it won't affect you or trigger your detectors.

I wouldnt worry about it unless your stove starts to run away on you.