1. BillX

BillX
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 4, 2016
    Loc:
    Northern Ontario
    Hello Everyone:

I spent several months trying to buy a gasket for the Piazzetta Smoke Chamber Cover with no luck. The distributer sent what they thought was right but it was too thick and with the tolerances so narrow on the cover it wouldn't fit. Finally the word came back that Piazzetta doesn't make the gasket any more, with the suggestion that a hi-temp RTV silicone caulking be used. Here are the instructions the distributor sent:

"A thin layer of high temp RTV silicon (sic) approximately 1/32-1/16” x3/8” be applied to the cover door perimeter and allowed to cure for several hours. After the silicon is cured the cover can be reinstalled."

My guess is letting it cure unmounted is to facilitate future removal.

I found 2 hi-temp ones, one good up to 450˚ and the other to 650˚. I used 650˚.

Hope this helps anyone in the same predicament.

Cheers, BillX

Tech Guru likes this.
  2. 709GADE

709GADE
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 26, 2014
    Loc:
    Pasadena, NL, Canada
    SF_Maintenance_Gaskets_FiberglassGasketTapeKit_medium.jpg

I used this product, it was bit of a tight fit but it works.

3. BillX

BillX
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 4, 2016
    Loc:
    Northern Ontario
    709GADE: Much appreciated. I will log that product in my files, and I'll also let everyone know how the RTV Silicone worked out next year.

4. Pascal_Maertens

Pascal_Maertens
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Mar 25, 2014
    Loc:
    Mont-Laurier, Qc
    to be honest with you I don't even use a gasket I have adjusted the stove with out it and it does work fine as long as your cover is not warp but hi temp silicone is a good idea too

5. BillX

BillX
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 4, 2016
    Loc:
    Northern Ontario
    Pascal: Thanks for the input. I thought of that and if I couldn't get the silicone, that was my next option. It's a matter of wait and see now. I'll lift it next year and if it causes grief, I'll do as you do. I'm assuming you didn't notice any more ash in the chamber with no gasket.

BillX

6. Pascal_Maertens

Pascal_Maertens
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Mar 25, 2014
    Loc:
    Mont-Laurier, Qc
    yes I do have ash in it but since there is no gasket to rattle with I clean it more often it is so easy and it does not interfere with the air path. I Just make sure that there is no ash or dust that could make a gap.

regards