Gasket Problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carlo

Jan 27, 2009
Northeastern, N.J.
Gasket Problems

I noticed my gasket that attaches to the steel plug for the ash pan is broken.

I also noticed that another rope gasket that runs along the topside of my stove has fallen down. I put the rope gasket back up by squeezing the rope into a little corner and pinched it in. It won't last there.

Can I glue these gaskets ? The stove is only 2 months old and the gasket doesn't look worn out.

Its common for new stoves to be a little short on glue. Just go to a hardware store and pick up wood stove gasket cement. With a new stove the gasket is probably fine just pull out the loose stuff and apply the cement behind on the stove after scraping any old glue off the stove. Push the gasket against the stove after the proper wait.Follow the instructions for your cement and you will be good to go.

just to double check ..... this gasket is INSIDE the stove. Flames will be hitting it. Wood stove gasket cement is good for INSIDE the stove ... right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.