Gasket Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff

Dec 2, 2005
NH
so, I've been trying to replace the gasket on my stove over the last few days. I don't know what size the gasket is supposed to be so I measured the depth and width of the groove (1/4" deep, 3/8" wide) and bought some 5/16" gasket from the local stove place. I test fit it before using any goop and tried pulling pieces of paper out of the closed door. The paper would slip out so I figured I needed a thicker gasket. I bought some 3/8" gasket (1/16" larger than 5/16" for non-math types) at the local hardware store (30% cheaper and more friendly than the stove place). That stuff is too thick (its really tough to get the door closed and paper slides out on the latch side of the door). I tried leaving it in the door with it closed over night to see if it would take a set but it didn't help.

I'm thinking of stretching the 3/8" gasket a little bit as I insert it into the groove to try to thin it out some and get the right thickness. So I'm wondering.... has anyone had to do this before? Also, how is stove gasket measured, in it's compacted state? It looks a lot fatter than it's claimed size in the relaxed state....

I think what is happening is, over time heat can warp the metal in your door. It may only be a slight bit but it happens. When this occures, it is impossible to get a uniform fit. There are a couple of adjustments needed. I would use the 3/8 gasket and adhere it where it fits snug. By the latch, I would apply a generous amount of gasket cement to build it out. Let it dry before closing the door.
The next adjustment might be the door latch either tighter or losser, some experimenting will need to be done to get a good seal.
Over time the gasket will compress and additional adjustment to the door latch maybe required

Status
Not open for further replies.