Gasket Seal Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yooper08

Minister of Fire
Jan 4, 2016
South Lyon, MI
My insert's face is built with what seems like 3 vertical sections of steel. The middle section seems just slightly set back than the outer two, so it doesn't create as tight a seal against the gasket as the outer sections do. The outer sections are tight but the middle section doesn't pass the test.

My question is, what can I do to improve the seal? I have the steel rods used for insulation support, could I put one or two of those in the channel and put the gasket on top of that to effectively raise the gasket at the middle section? Or is there another way to do this?

My only concern is raising the middle section too much that causes the outside areas to not seal as tightly anymore.

All of the surfaces that the door gasket contacts should be on the same plane or very close to it. If you place a straight edge across the face, how much gap is there in the middle?

The most reliable way I can measure it is with a sheet of copy paper. The right side has little to no gap but moving towards the left side the gap gets bigger. Where the left section and the left side of middle section meet, it's probably a 0.01" gap, enough to fail the dollar bill test in the middle section. So it's straight, not warped at all, just not on plane.

Last winter there were a few times it would approach over fire territory when I filled it up for overnight burns, so I started looking for air leaks. I wonder if this is it? The gasket on there now was new last season.

The most reliable way I can measure it is with a sheet of copy paper. The right side has little to no gap but moving towards the left side the gap gets bigger. Where the left section and the left side of middle section meet, it's probably a 0.01" gap, enough to fail the dollar bill test in the middle section. So it's straight, not warped at all, just not on plane.

Last winter there were a few times it would approach over fire territory when I filled it up for overnight burns, so I started looking for air leaks. I wonder if this is it? The gasket on there now was new last season.
Was it a factory SBI replacement gasket? Put a straight edge across the face of the door to check that it it flat too.

If it doesn't seal properly with the factory supplied gasket then there may be a warranty defect. Is the stove under 5yrs old?

The door and stove body have a 5 yr warranty.

It could have something to do with the way the gasket was installed. Is it loose and pliable in the area in question? Have you tried pinching it gently in that area to "fluff" it up?

I have tried to fluff it up a bit, tried that during the heating season, too. Just curious how the gasket install would impact it?

I sent a few pictures to SBI, I'll post those here later.
Too much adhesive can make the gasket stiff.

This is going back a year since I replaced the gasket but I recall only putting a small bead down on the inside edge. At least that’s what I tried to do.

Here are some pics:
60B910F3-0F42-465E-A806-48718B02EF5E.jpeg 7E3FBDE0-F393-428A-BAB9-3844CFAD3D8A.jpeg D8176285-FE73-4CA4-981A-7065FBAA17D7.jpeg 4F1EBDC8-7C26-4C52-ADA0-61988ADDDCD6.jpeg 078DE3E3-7BDF-4C68-AB4C-FE171A2F27F9.jpeg

Th gasket impression looks pretty good. There is some sooty evidence of minor air leakage at one panel joint (upper right) in the photos, but overall not bad.

Well SBI’s take on the pictures was that there wasn’t any leakage and the gasket is pressing up against the face. They told me to adjust the handle but my model doesn’t have that capability from what I can tell.

So begreen, your take is that it generally looks good? I agree with you on the soot as a sign of leakage. Should I try a new gasket this year and see if it improves at all?

I agree, it doesn't look too bad. I don't recall how the Century door latch works. but that is what i would try to make hold the door closed very slightly tighter if possible.

Unfortunately I don't have a way to adjust the latch to make it tighter and I'm already cranking it tight.

Should I just redo the gasket again? Would trying to squeeze the next diameter bigger help at all or will that just cause other problems?

Seeing they suggested it, ask Century support how to adjust the handle.

That's not too helpful is it?