Gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

minesmoria

Dec 17, 2005
I got a new window gasket from the mfg, this one is the self sticky peel and press type.

Is not the glue type better for sticking, should i put some glue on this one as well just in case.

minesmoria said:
I got a new window gasket from the mfg, this one is the self sticky peel and press type.

Is not the glue type better for sticking, should i put some glue on this one as well just in case.

Not for a window gasket. Use the self-sticky stuff. The retainers will hold it just fine. The adhesive is just to hold it in place until you put the retainers back. Trust me. You do not want gasket cement to get on that glass.

The sticky back as BB said is just to hold it in place until you put the retainers back on. It will be really easy if you take the door off and lay it down flat to replace the gasket.

For a door seal I would use gasket cement or furnace cement. In moderation.

Is this the Super 27 or did you get that Summit you wanted?

Its the summit classic red, i wanted the blue, but powers at be said no. I was a bit suprised when the pe gasket package came today and was the self sticky type. Should i put some glue or furnace cement for extra protection.

minesmoria said:
Its the summit classic red, i wanted the blue, but powers at be said no. I was a bit suprised when the pe gasket package came today amd was the self sticky type. Should i put some glue or furnace cement for extra protection.

If it was me, since that is the way they shipped it, I would put it on with the sticky stuff and try a few burns. It may nail it down tight when it cures. If not you can then put a thin strip of furnace cement behind it. I am curious why it needs to be changed so soon? That stove has to be pretty darn new.

I will leave out the wisecrack about thinking Summit gaskets were self healing.

Status
Not open for further replies.