Gathering parts for pallet vent system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

phxwolf

Nov 22, 2020
AZ
Was wondering if Selkirk and duravent are interchangeable or compatible. If not what is your preference duravent or Selkirk venting products?

The 2 are not compatible. I have used both and I personally have duravent on my maxx

I've always run Duravent (last 25 years, maybe longer) with no issues other than a rusted out cleanout Tee but that was my fault because my external venting is very high (20 feet from the horizontal to vertical 3-4 cleanout Tee to the top cap and I secure my venting in custom built welded steel standoff's with stainless worm clamps and I have electrolysis between the stainless clamps and the galvanized outer skin. Other than that no isses with the stainless liner and I typically run a cor / pellet mix and sometimes straight field corn so in my opinion as an end user, the Simpson Duravent is very durable.

No, they won't interchange so no mix and match. The interlocking system on each is unique to the manufacturer.

Price wise, I believe they are about the same (I think).

I approach my venting a bit differently that most (I think at least). I take mine apart every spring and clean it inside with Simple Green and pressure wash it out and store the sections in the shop and come fall, put it back up. To that end, I apply Never Seize to each joint to make taking apart and assembly easier and I always keep a coat of it on the bottom cleanout Tee cap so it comes apart easily for my mid winter leaf blower cleaning.

Reactions: phxwolf and Ssyko
I never realized they were different, or if I did, I guess I just forgot. I was curious, so I looked them up. What I see on displays and what I've always used is Dura Vent.

Initially in 1992, I ran a 3 foot straight out the wall to a tee, then a upward 3foot with a vent cap. It was the cheapest way but hated of the smell out there on the carport, so soon I bought more straights and ran the vent horizontal for 21 feet past the end of my open car port, that got the end out in a breeze. Then, I put the tee back in and ran the 15feet straight up through the eave of the carport roof using my standoffs of steel (no rust) … ran that up into 2017 and removed it for a new steel roof install. Now my vent goes out horizontal 6 feet to tee, then up 8 feet, 90 degree turn and cone shaped cap points away from the wall where I enclosed my carport in 2004 so it's all out of any rains. I have a new tee and the horizontal 6 feet (2x3s) to put in but the old was still good. I did replace the vertical and change the cap or venturi thing & new elbow.

Last edited:
Wish they were interchangable... I have selkirk on my stove and would like to make a few changes but up here its a special order and 2-3x the price of duravent

Reactions: Ssyko
Not and never will be. 2 different manufacturers with 2 different and patented designs.

Duravent Pellet Vent Pro is nice to work with. Twist lock with oring seal. We have had very little issue with joint leaks like we did back in the day with the rope seal stuff ( Still sold in the big box stores). Then I just saw that you can buy replacement orings.

Reactions: tbear853